• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5spd manual transmission shifts hard

Ranger-Roush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
First off I would like to give credit and thanks to this site. It has been helpful and informative. With that said I have decided to give back by contributing some of my own knowledge.

For those of you having shifting issues with your 5spd manual trannys this may be helpful.

Right after changing the clutch, slave and master cyclinder, and fluid, which is ATF, on my 96 ranger it still shifted hard as if the syncros were worn out. The truck had around 120k miles at the time. With no solution in sight, aside from rebuilding or replacing it, i decided to replace the Mercon5 with 75w-90 synthetic gear lube(transfer case as well). Now I know several people are going to say that you cant do that because of the splash bearings and clearance diameters, however this transmission was well worn in so I did not think the clearance diamaters would be an issue. Low and behold it shifts like a dream. As of right now it has 218k miles and not a single problem, still a shifts like it did 100k miles ago. I'm in upstate Ny so in the winter time it's best to let it warm up for a few minutes first but other that that it's been flawless. Now I just bought a 2004 ranger XLT 4x4 with the 4.0 and 5spd manual. It too was shifting hard so I changed out the ATF for gear lube as well. This time I used 75w140 synthetic and have driven it about 1000 miles this far. My gas milage has not been the greatest so I'm thinking about draining it and using the 75w90 synthetic. Anyway from everything I have read no one recommends using gear lube, so I'm here to say that it does work and will not destroy a worn in tyranny that has at least 100k miles on it.

Ranger-Roush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I would also like to note that I worked at a local ford dealership for 5 years as the lead technician until I completed my bachelors in Mechanical engineering. I now work in a machine shop specializing in aerospace components as the chief engineering designing manufacturing processes and writing machine programs.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Oil is slippery.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'm glad it worked for you but I suspect switching from Mercon V to Mercon/dexron would also have fixed it. When Ford stopped selling Mercon they released a dedicated transfer case fluid which cost $12 a quart. The bottle says it meets Mercon specs, just like the power steering fluid does.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I replied to your comment in another thread but ran across this one too - gear lube will destroy a M5OD in the long run. Drain and refill with the proper fluid.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I replied to your comment in another thread but ran across this one too - gear lube will destroy a M5OD in the long run. Drain and refill with the proper fluid.
Your not a chief engineering designing manufacturing processes and writing machine, what would you know!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals