• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5r55e Trans controlling (1.9TDI swap)

livetoride21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm hoping someone knowledgeable can help me out here.
I have a 2007 Ranger 4L 4x4 with a 5r55e auto that I'm going to be converting to a VW 1.9TDI.
I have mostly everything sorted out for adapting the engine to the trans etc. However I'm wondering what inputs
I need in order for the transmission to shift? Being this is an electronically controlled trans, is it simply
working off the vehicle speed sensor and some sort of internal hydraulic pressure sensor or does it
need a vacuum input etc?
I do not have any issue with leaving the stop computer in place and piggybacking sensors off the TDI, just
trying to figure out what the bare minimum the trans needs to shift is.
I would like to swap to a 5spd manual, however they're increasingly hard to find as are the 4wd tail-housings (tail shafts)
to go with them.

Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, you won't be able to use the 2007 PCM just as a transmission controller, you can buy stand alone controllers but $1,000 for controller and harness

You also need to deal with the Digital Dash(HEC), it needs the PCM, they are a Match Pair, to prevent Odometer tampering

As for the transmission, a 1990-1994 A4LD from 4.0l 4x4 would be doable, same transmission as the 5R55E
The A4LD just has 2 solenoids, TCC which can be activated with speed sensor and OD on/off(3/4 solenoid)

The 5R is just a 4-speed(4R), the "5th gear" was a new 2nd gear added by turning on OD while still in 1st, so smoother shift between the old 1st and 2nd
And that OD on in 1st wasn't even used if you were accelerating from a stop it would just shift to 3rd directly when RPMs were high enough

The 5-speed manual is looking better, lol
You can use a 1990-2011 M5OD-R1 from 4.0l 4x4 Ranger or Mazda B4000

Look for V8 swaps into 2004 to 2011 Rangers, these years have the Digital Dash(HEC) which adds a layer of complications, to see how they got around not using the matched PCM

The TDI or V8 swap is easier on 2003 and earlier Ranger

livetoride21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply Ron.
I'm not sure I understand what the huge issue is getting the digital dash working? The speedo will still work as long as the truck is on accessory mode even if the engine is not running and the odometer still registers as well. So there is no reason for it to not work even if the engine is completely absent. For the other gauges in the dash nothing really changes if you remove the 4L and put something else in it's place.
Is there something I'm missing here?

As for the 5r55e transmission, there are only so many signals it can need to be able to function. I'm just trying to figure the bare minimum it needs as it doesn't seem to be explicit anywhere.
As I said before, I will happily leave the stock ECU in place alongside the TDI ECU and just emulate a tach signal from the TDI.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I don't think you understand

Below is the 2007 Ranger digital cluster wiring and a 2002 analog cluster wiring diagram

In 2007 speed, tach, odo, most warning lights are on just TWO wires, its a network data system, PCM sends out 1's and 0's to the cluster and it displays the speed, tach, ect...............
So there is not a "speed signal" or a "tach signal" at the cluster, it just a display that shows speed and tach

So yes, keeping the factory PCM would most likely be easier although hard to do with a different engine
You need the crank sensor and Cam sensor signals, O2s working and MAF and a few other things I can't think of right now, lol

Oh, and here is a PDF on the 4R/5R transmissions that shows what solenoids are activated or turned off as it changes Ratios

It will be an interesting project
There have been a few TDIs done in Rangers but pre-2004 models

Attachments

livetoride21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply Ron, I've seen some of the pre 04 tdi swaps but never one with an auto trans.
There are two reasons I'd like to keep the auto trans if possible ;
- Availability (5spd 4x4 trans are pretty rare and expensive now where as 5r55e are a dime a dozen.
- Not adding unnecessary work and cost. (would need clutch, flywheel, clutch pedal, shifter, shifter blockout) Don't feel like adding these to the list if I need to.

The dash doesn't worry me as I know for a fact that the speedo and gauges will work even with the engine completely off. So off or absent are the really will not make a difference. Worst cause if there are some unused sensors that need to stay plugged in while not sensing anything that's fine, they can stay. For the tach, I assume the crank position sensor is giving the RPM signal to the PCM, so this wouldn't be all that hard to retrofit on the TDI.

As I said before, I'm happy to keep the stock PCM under the dash to keep things simple alongside the Volks ECU. I know of one guy that retro-fitted the TDI cluster in and it turned out pretty good though.

Will read through the info you sent about the trans and see if it has the info I need.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
car-part.com

Just did a search using postal code H1A 0C2 that should be the Montreal, QC area
And got alot of 4.0l 4x4 manual transmissions listed, $450 to $800

But if your keeping the PCM then moot point, it will already send the speed to cluster thats not an issue, OSS speed sensor on transmission will still be there
Crank sensor can be mounted to read a tone ring on a TDI pulley

The shift points for the 5R are speed and RPM based for the most part, Throttle sensor is used for the "kick down"
4.0l SOHC made best torque at 2,900rpm
You would need to know at what RPM that happens in the TDI to see if the shift points would work OK, diesels usually have best torque just under 2,000rpm
So you may have to fudge your RPM/tach to get the PCM to shift correctly, or have it re-programmed

slo_dsl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Any updates on this project? I'm working on TDI swapping a 99 auto myself.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals