• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5R55E shifting trouble

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello ladies and gentlemen.
Vehicle: 2002 Ranger XLT, 4.0 Auto, 161K, electronically shifter transfer case.
Me: College educated shadetree mechanic, plenty of engine experience, little transmission experience (I know how to check the fluid, does that count? :p)

Short version: I'm looking for information regarding reparing/servicing my 2002 5R55E transmission. A service manual, any diagrams that show where parts and what they do, advice and do's and don'ts, or anything simliar would be highly appreciated.

Long version:
Fluid level and quality are both good, checked more than a dozen times in the last three months.
To drive the truck, I have to start in 1st or 2nd, and manually shift it into the next gear (1 to 2, 2 to D with OD off).
I can have OD on the highway above 55 MPH if i'm gentle with it.
It'll shift on it's own from OD to D and back, or from D (OD off) to 2 and back, if i'm gentle with it.
Truck will not start rolling from dead stop when placed in drive.
Truck will roll with a lot of hesitation in reverse from dead stop, but not uphill, against pressure, or for more than a few yards.
I'm convinced it's a seal issue because I put a teaspoon of brake fluid in it* and it worked perfectly for a whole day.

*I know that's bad for it, but three old mechanic guys told me to try it, so I did. I only used ONE teaspoon, and did/will not put anymore in.

So, i've got myself psyched up to jack it up in the driveway, pull the pan, and fix the darn thing, but i'm lacking on transmission specific skills and knowledge.

I'd like to have a service manual, and/or some diagrams to help me identify the parts, and i'd like to know if there's a way for me to test any specific parts, such as the valve body, the solenoids, or other such things.
I'm convinced that if I see a seal, and it's damaged, i'll be able to figure that out easily enough, but beyond that, I need a little help!

Please do ask any questions you want answered, and i'll do my best to answer them. I'm doing all the research now, with plans to dig into the project July 30th or so.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks!

Thank you, I appreciate that. It looks like there's a lot of valuable information in there, and i'll read through it all more carefully in the next few days.
The one thing tripping me up right now is a lack of mental clarity concerning troubleshooting. With an engine, I can figure out where to start based on the symptom, and use the "Fuel, Fire, Timing" idea to get me where I need to go.
With transmissions, I don't know how to diagnose the symptoms, so any further information on troubleshooting would be most helpful.

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet

Both of those look helpful, thank you!
It looks like I have a lot of reading to do, a pressure gauge to buy, and a little more figuring out.
I still have it in my mind that I need some kind of troubleshooting guide, something like:
Check this (pressure reading, action, or other) if A, next step is X, if B, next step is Y, and so on.
Does anyone here know where I can find something like that, or perhaps have the knowledge to tell me?

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, back at it again. I see several members here have done rebuilds on this transmission, and i'd love to hear more information about what it takes to get it done. So far I have a list that includes space to spread out, and be able to leave the transmission, covered and out of the weather.
I have a pressure gauge on my list; what other transmission specific tools do I need?

If i'm going to rebuild it, I might as well just rebuild the whole darn thing, right?
So, what do you recommend for a rebuild kit?

Also, i've got the ATSG service manual for this transmission; is that enough, or is there something else I should have?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals