• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5R55E rough shifting

nesbit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi

I have a 2003 4WD ranger xlt with the 4.0 sohc engine. Only 58k miles. Was fine during the winter. Then just as it started warming up a few degrees it started up shifting really rough/jerky. It was inconsistent but I don’t think it did it in every gear. Now as the weather warmed up the problem is barely noticeable. Fluid is translucent pink and full with engine running. Doesn’t slip. I don’t believe it is flaring just rough. Dealer rightly so says they can’t diagnose if it’s not doing it. But I need reliability at the point of replacing parts proactively. I’ve watched videos on the valve body solenoids, gaskets, etc. Seem like good places to start. But experience and ideas are welcomed.

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
There are many other components that will affect shift strategies other than transmission itself. Many engine sensors will play a huge part in transmission function. Also ABS problems can give drivability issues. Look into proper diagnosis before going straight for transmission.
Brad

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
At a minimum clean the MAFS - the computer uses that airflow info, along with rpm and throttle position to determine load and shift points. Next look at the TPS, as it may shift abruptly if it thinks it's at WOT.

nesbit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
There are many other components that will affect shift strategies other than transmission itself. Many engine sensors will play a huge part in transmission function. Also ABS problems can give drivability issues. Look into proper diagnosis before going straight for transmission.
Brad
Good point. I hadn’t considered it could be outside the transmission.

nesbit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
At a minimum clean the MAFS - the computer uses that airflow info, along with rpm and throttle position to determine load and shift points. Next look at the TPS, as it may shift abruptly if it thinks it's at WOT.
could these effect the transmission while the engine still runs great?

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
could these effect the transmission while the engine still runs great?
It depends - the effect on the transmission shifting can be more obvious than the engine driveability. They are an awful lot easier to check than the gearbox though!

I have a 2004 3.0, and I thought it worked fine, was just reluctant to kick down. I cleaned the MAFS and noticed no change in driveability, but the shifting changed completely. On an older F250 I've had a bad TPS cause the transmission to hold gears to high rpm and bang abruptly into each gear. It thought the throttle was wide open but the airflow and rpm were not increasing, which looked like a very high load.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals