• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5r55e no drive/reverse

Ohhnulix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Got my ranger running again after a few weeks, went for a test drive and it felt like the truck kept sputtering, rpm’s stayed steady though. I stopped and after that drive and reverse seemed to be about useless, absolutely no power, if I’m on a flat area they go but no sort of actual power behind it. If I put it in manual first and second it runs fine, any idea? I’ve seen something about an overdrive sprag, and I had an issue with the natural safety switch case a similar issue on another ranger, any ideas before I start buying parts?

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How many miles on Vehicle & 5r55e? How many miles since last MerconV ATF+Filter change?
Sounds like low ATF pressure in the Tranny.
I'd first try a PanDrop with fresh PanGasket+Filter+ATF+BandAdjust.
If that dont work, a rebuilt ValveBody + new VBGasket + new Solenoids from CentralValveBody(Oklahoma) .
If that dont work, a fully rebuilt Tranny.

Ohhnulix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Alright update on the ranger. Did the fluid and filter, added some Lucas transmission fix stuff with it, now it’s working sometimes? It’ll grab and go then I’ll shift out of drive or reverse and it won’t grab the next time, also got a code for an output speed sensor?

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Could HandPump 1~2qts ATF from DipTube & refresh\replace that MerconV; 2~3 rounds then a 50mile drive after each.
See if that helps clean up any junk in the ATF. Make sure ATF level is where it should be.
Suspect you've got a blown out ValveBodyGasket; torqing the VB Bolts might help; new BondedGasket may be needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals