• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5r55e from bad to worse

azexploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I picked up a 2003 4.0l 2wd for a hobby project. She was not running and had leaking freeze plugs. Got her going and then she started throwing a TCC Not locking code.

Since she was not my daily driver, I ordered a 5R55E 2WD Solenoid Kit Filter Set Shift TCC, new gaskets, Superior K4R5R55E Shift Correction Package, and 4 gallons of Merc V.

I did not pull all the valves.. just the parts the kit replaced. Kit goes on - used the sonnex assembly guide, VB goes in, pump her full of TF, and now.....

I have GO.. no park, no neutral.. just 5 phases of GO after the truck starts up..

What should I check when I pull the pan and VC off .. again.. ??

Attachments

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
That sounds more like you put the shift cable, range sensor, or the selector shaft back on wrong. :dunno:

azexploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply. I only removed the heat shield and the pan.. did not fiddle with anything else. It does not feel right so I may make some adjustments anyway.
I will look at what the range sensor and selector shaft are and their proper orientation.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Does it actually shift into overdrive? If it does, do the engine RPMs stay constant if the speedo stays constant, even if you blip the throttle a bit? That's how I knew mine was finally going out, little changes in the throttle would affect the tach, but not the speedo. Anyway close to 300K miles so not unexpected.....

I replaced the VB on mine a few years ago, had some debris in it, but ultimately ended up having to rebuild the entire thing, anyway. Could be enough loose crud in the fluid to sabotage anything you do with the VB, solenoids, etc. Hope that's not the case but.....

azexploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Before my first ever attempt at delving into the mystery of the Transmission.. the truck ran normally - for about 20-30 min. Then would go into blinking OD and 1st-2nd shifts were harsh. That would go away after restarting.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Does it actually shift into overdrive? If it does, do the engine RPMs stay constant if the speedo stays constant, even if you blip the throttle a bit? That's how I knew mine was finally going out, little changes in the throttle would affect the tach, but not the speedo. Anyway close to 300K miles so not unexpected.....

I replaced the VB on mine a few years ago, had some debris in it, but ultimately ended up having to rebuild the entire thing, anyway. Could be enough loose crud in the fluid to sabotage anything you do with the VB, solenoids, etc. Hope that's not the case but.....
That's the torque converter lockup clutch. The one in my Mustang started giving me a blinking OD OFF light last May. The code was P0741, Torque Converter Clutch Locked Off. And you are correct, over-active tachometer. Did a fluid and filter change and changed the solenoid. Seemed to fix it for about nine months. Then, two Saturdays ago, drove it to work. Got to work alright. As I was backing into a slight downhill spot, I noticed the vehicle wasn't responding to throttle any longer. Went into work and didn't think too much about it. Got off to go home, started it and warmed it a bit, put it in Drive, NOTHING. Nothing in any gear. But the Park pawl still locks and unlocks. So it's not the cable. Got it towed to a friend's shop. We both think the torque converter went out because the engine is idling too high, as if it's missing a load. Normal start up idle is around 1000 rpm. Normal idle is 700 rpm. Currently it starts up around 1500 rpm, and idles around 900 rpm. So it's like it lost a load.

My Mustang, the clutch used to lock up in both 4th and fifth gear. And even when the OD OFF light was blinking, I could see by the tach it was still locking up in 4th, just not 5th. Weird. My Ranger has a 4R44. I can tell by hearing (doesn't have a tach), that it locks up in both 3rd and 4th. I have a loud enough exhaust, I can hear it when it locks up. Rpms drop slightly when the lockup occurs.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Sounds like it, or pump went out. Can't hear it trying to shift at all as you pull the lever through the gears?

azexploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Little Foot tach was normal. I watched for that specific issue after reading all I could on the P0741. I should have just stuck to the solenoid and fluid change.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nope. Nothing. NADA. Can push the vehicle in all gears except Park.

Anyhow, I drive all my vehicles around town with the OD OFF. I only let them shift into OD at speeds north of 55 mph. Even my Lightning, with a 4R100, the clutch locks up in 3rd. I can see it on the tach when it happens.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Over my pay grade for sure. Good luck.......

azexploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
As I move the shift lever - I can feel it dis/engage each stop.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Little Foot tach was normal. I watched for that specific issue after reading all I could on the P0741. I should have just stuck to the solenoid and fluid change.
The solenoid and fluid change worked on mine for nine months. The Saturday the trans failed, the OD OFF light was blinking again as I was trying to back it into a spot. Unfortunately, trans codes don't stay like OBD II codes. As soon as you shut the vehicle off, they go bye-bye.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Anyway, when the car broke down, it was on an Air Force Base. PITA getting it towed off base. Only one tow company here that does so, and only one driver at that company. Took a lot of phone calls to find that out. Finally got it to my Friend Rick's shop, ACE Transmissions in Midwest City OK. Told him not to put it in front of the other vehicles already there, even though we're friends. So it'll get done when it gets done. I have five vehicles, a lot of the other vehicles may be the only ride that person has.

I'll let you all know what the problem was when I find out.

azexploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Rebuilt VB installed, Runs/shifts excellent - right up to the TCC lockup fail/flashing OD. Attached is the FORScan leading up to and including the fail. Any hints for you FORScan guys?

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals