• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5R55E DIED ON ME?

6gun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
??????
Tire Size
39X12.50R17
My credo
I'm not afraid of dying, not living terrifies me!
Now that my big Colorado adventure (vacation road trip) is behind me it is time to turn my attention to my 1998 Exploder setting in the yard with no go left in it. About a month before leaving on vacation, while driving to town. I stopped at a 4-way and as soon as I mashed the gas to go it just wouldn't not in any gear or transfer case range. Engine revs fine, but EX will barely move. I had it towed to the house and forgot about it till now. Since I lost my Ranger engine on the road trip, I need to get the EX back going while I swap truck engines. Any thoughts or suggestions as to what I might look at first? Fluid looks good doesn't smell burnt, allegedly the trans was a re-manufactured unit installed about 5 yrs ago. I've had the truck 3yrs with no issues whatsoever and was actually about to change the trans fluid when this happened. Any ideals/suggestions/funny remarks will be welcomed!

Edited to add pertinent info! 1998 Ford Exploder, 4.0 SOHC, 5R55E, 4WD E-shift T-case, 240K+ miles. Ran/pulled great up until the moment it didn't!

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Is the Od light flashing or check engine light on? If so you need to pull the codes. Could be something as dumb as a blown fuse to the shift solenoids (doubt it but possible).

Usually no movement at all means fluid pressure loss. Pump failure, or major internal fluid leak. The problem is some remanufactured trans they just clean it and throw in new clutches and bands. They don't replace the pump or rebuild the valve body which are the two main failure points. 5 years on a rebuilt trans is actually sometimes a miracle if the major hard parts weren't replaced.

Get any codes from the ecu, if nothing simple found there then I'd check the fluid pressure.

Last edited:

6gun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
??????
Tire Size
39X12.50R17
My credo
No lights triggered, I'll have to track down my code reader to check that out. I can check fuses tonight(voltmeter). No ideal on the quality of rebuild, I bought it from my brother who bought it from his wife's cousin that had the trans done(?). No paperwork falls under major question to me!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yea 4th hand info on a "maybe" rebuilt transmission is pretty useless lol. Electrical issues like solenoids or sensors will certainly come with accompanying codes. Hard failures unfortunately like a bad pump or valve body often don't have any codes and can only be checked with pressure testing and or physically digging into it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The test for a pump failure is easy. Check the fluid with the engine off, it should be over-filled. Then start the engine and check the fluid again, if it doesn't drop into the cold-fill zone the pump is not working. If it does your issue is somewhere else.

6gun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
??????
Tire Size
39X12.50R17
My credo
The test for a pump failure is easy. Check the fluid with the engine off, it should be over-filled. Then start the engine and check the fluid again, if it doesn't drop into the cold-fill zone the pump is not working. If it does your issue is somewhere else.
Thanks for that tip! I haven't worked on an automatic other than filter changes since the early 90's so I am going to have to brush up a little on things. Plus this being our rough time of the year leaves me very little time for messing with it. If I can convince myself to let go of the money(tightwad) I may just call my buddy and tow it to his shop. Worst cost from that will be listening to him rag me about having to fix my junk.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thanks for that tip! I haven't worked on an automatic other than filter changes since the early 90's so I am going to have to brush up a little on things. Plus this being our rough time of the year leaves me very little time for messing with it. If I can convince myself to let go of the money(tightwad) I may just call my buddy and tow it to his shop. Worst cost from that will be listening to him rag me about having to fix my junk.
One thing to keep in mind when doing that test, these gear pumps can give up when they get warm, and then start working again for a bit once they cool off, so make sure it doesn't go into gear before checking the fluid with the engine running.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know the problem and i'm surprised he hasn't came on here and mentioned it yet. The problem isn't the trans at all. It's the motor. Pull it out and drop a 2.9 in it and that will solve all your problems HAHAH

6gun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
??????
Tire Size
39X12.50R17
My credo
I know the problem and i'm surprised he hasn't came on here and mentioned it yet. The problem isn't the trans at all. It's the motor. Pull it out and drop a 2.9 in it and that will solve all your problems HAHAH

I'm eyeballing that new small block 460 from Ford Racing awful hard! I tried to withdraw money from the bank to buy it but the girl wouldn't quit screaming long enough to put the money in the bag! :LOL: I'm trying hard to find a suitable Exploder/Mountaineer with a 5.0 to swap into my Ranger so I can take the 5R55 out of it for the Exploder. Problems with shuffling junk around!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Oh not you too now!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals