• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5r55e compatible years

Ohhnulix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My 02 sohc 4.0 needs a transmission, I’ve been looking around and I found someone Parting out a 98 explorer ohv , I’ve seen some people say that the transmissions are still compatible, anyone have any experience swapping between years like that? I know there’s a 1 bolt difference between the sohc and the ohv but it should still work, I just don’t know about electrically

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No not compatible, but the same model 5R55E

In 2001 and up Rangers, Ford added ISS(intermediate shaft speed) sensor and an OSS(output shaft speed) sensor to the outside of the 5R55E's(and 5R44Es as well)
So your 2002 computer NEEDS the inputs from these 2 new sensors, they can't be retrofitted to older 5R55E cases

So you need a 2001-2011 5R55E from a 4.0l, also needs to match 2WD or 4x4 as there is no conversion possible

One heads up, I have read that some 2001 and up Rangers had the 5R55W transmission(never seen it myself), easy way to tell is there is no dipstick on this model
The wiring is different than 5R55E so connector won't work/fit

Not that it helps you but a 1995 to 2000 Ranger can use 1995-2011 trans because it's computer doesn't need the ISS or OSS sensors, they are just left unhooked, but can't go the other way

Last edited:

Lancer1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hope I'm not high jacking this thread, but concerning the 5R44E vs. the 5R55E, I have a conflict identifying which one is in my Ranger. 2004, 4.0L, Ranger Edge, 4x4. I am the original owner, it has 90,000 miles. I want to put a transmission pan on there with a drain plug so we can drain and replace the transmission fluid. I called the parts desk in Elk Grove, CA (with my VIN), the guy said I have the 5R44E transmission. From what I'm reading, I should have the 5R55E, is that right ? There is a dipstick in it. I thought mine should have the 5R55E, because it's 4.0L, and 4x4 (four wheel drive). Hmmm, any information is much appreciated. :)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hope I'm not high jacking this thread, but concerning the 5R44E vs. the 5R55E, I have a conflict identifying which one is in my Ranger. 2004, 4.0L, Ranger Edge, 4x4. I am the original owner, it has 90,000 miles. I want to put a transmission pan on there with a drain plug so we can drain and replace the transmission fluid. I called the parts desk in Elk Grove, CA (with my VIN), the guy said I have the 5R44E transmission. From what I'm reading, I should have the 5R55E, is that right ? There is a dipstick in it. I thought mine should have the 5R55E, because it's 4.0L, and 4x4 (four wheel drive). Hmmm, any information is much appreciated. :)
Yes, the 4.0l OHV or SOHC engines used the 5R55E model, the "55" means it has a larger Overdrive drum so can handle up to 550ft/lb torque

The 5R44E was used on 4cyl engines and 3.0l Vulcan V6s and can handle 440ft/lb torque

Yes, all the "E" models have a dipstick
5R55W don't have a dipstick, also a different wiring connector, usually found in Explorers not Rangers

The "5R" models were changed in 2001, and up, Ford added 2 sensors on the outside of transmission, the ISS and OSS
The 2001 and up computers need these sensors, so you can NOT swap in a 5R that doesn't have them, i.e. 1997-2000

However a 1995-2000 Ranger CAN use 2001-2011 5R and just leave the 2 extra sensors unhooked

All transmissions, manual or automatic, are engine specific and "drive" specific
2WD or 4x4 have different tail shafts so transmissions are not interchangeable, even if the same "model number"
Bellhousing is specific to the engine, so a 2.3l 5R44E won't bolt to a 3.0l engine, even though both transmissions are the same 5R44E model

4R..E and 5R..E are the same transmissions internally respecting the 44 and 55 differences
4R denotes computer shifting is 4-speed
5R denotes computer shifting is 5-speed

So a 2004 5R55E transmission in a 1996 4.0l Ranger would act as a 4-speed because of 1996 computer shifting
The 1996 came with a 4R55E
There is no extra "gear" in a 5R, there is in the way the computer uses shift solenoids

Last edited:

Lancer1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you! After reading more on TRS Tech Library, I found a page that pointed me to the Compliance sticker on the driver's side door post. Mine does indeed exhibit a "D" underneath the TR character. I guess that's another indicator that my transmission is the 5R55E. I appreciate your input, after reading it carefully, it's all right there. You my Friend, are a "Steely Eyed Ranger Man". :)

Lancer1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 5R55E transmission pan with a drain plug in it. Before I remove the stock pan, where can I drill a small hole in the stock pan, then drain the fluid before I remove the pan, so I don't make a huge mess ? I don't want to hit anything, just drill in through the pan enough, for a drain hole. Then, as I said, I'm replacing the stock pan with an aftermarket pan w/drain plug . Thanks for any help you can offer. :)
:D

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can handpump several qts of ATF from the DipTube; helps minimize mess when dropping TrannyPan.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Drill a hole in the side, in same place where the new pans drain plug is

Drain plug must be on the side of the new pan, if its on the bottom then its NOT a drain plug, its a refill and level check valve, used on 5R's that didn't have dipsticks, W/S/N models, Rangers had the the E model with dipstick

Last edited:

Lancer1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
RonD, this after market pan that I'm going to put on my Ranger with 5R55E transmission (2004,Edge, 4.0L, 4WD), has a drain plug build in right at the bottom, the low point in the pan (please see attached photo). What I meant was, is it safe to drill a tiny hole in the stock pan (the one that's on the truck now, original), just through the bottom at the same point, so I can let the fluid drain out (as not to make a mess). I won't be using the stock pan any more, so as long as I don't damage anything when I drill, it seems it would help to mitigate the mess when removing the original pan. Isn't there a round collection tube (1-1/2 inch diameter) that sits on the bottom of the filter unit, that collects fluid from the pan at the low point there? I was thinking it would be safe just to drill through there, enough to drain the old fluid. What do you think? I know the other fellow responded that I could hand pump some out through the dipstick tube, but I would rather drain it (since I have a replacement pan). I think the Dorman pan that I bought is about 1/8 thick or so, I would just drill through enough to get through the thin sheet metal pan.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Use a step drill bit, so you don't push bit too far in, and you can do it any where you want
Or tape wrap the drill bit down low to minimize penetration, pan metal is very thin
Google: 5r55e pan off images

You will see where its OK to drill, fluid will sling off the drill when it penetrates the pan, so heads up(eyes closed, lol)

Ever wonder why oil pan drains are not on the bottom of oil pan?
So they can't be damaged by road debris, or anything high passing under the vehicle

Side drain would be better in my pinion, as trans sits even lower

Reason automatics don't have drain plugs like oil pans do is because you don't need to drain trans fluid that often, 100k miles, 150k on some models
Oil change every 3k-4k miles

Automatic trans Drain plugs are just another leak point, and cost, for use every 10 years or so

You can get deep pans, for better cooling, with side drains: http://www.lyonsperformance.com/images/products/transmissions--converters/pml-transmission-pans/ford-pans/9614-2_cast_lgl.jpg

Last edited:

Lancer1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Perfect ! Thanks for your input. I will use a step drill, just go in enough to create a drain hole. I won't be using the old stock pan anymore, just want to reduce the mess when I take it off. I appreciate your thoughts on this ! 🤓. I am the original owner of this 2004 Ranger Edge. In 18 years, I've only had to replace one AC relay fuse, and the thermostat housing (plastic) split open. I put an aluminum one on to replace it. Tires, and a few tail light bulbs. This thing is amazing, the reliability and dependability is beyond reproach. Otherwise, I change the oil every 3000 miles and it has served me well. I want to be able to drain and fill the transmission fluid on a regular basis, and the transmission pan drain plug will make that more doable. :pray:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals