• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5R44E Trans Issue, 2008 Range 3L

PBaird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, I am a newbie to the forum. I think a mechanical sprag is starting to fail.
Symptoms; Going from reverse to forward occasionally I get a very small slip then a hard mechanical feeling of engagement. To date the trans works perfectly other than that. Generally only occurs cold leaving my driveway. After that I don't think it every occurs again once at operating temps.
History; My perfecting running 2005 Range was rear ended and totaled last March. In a rush to replace it I purchased this 2008 Ranger with 97k on it from a dealer (should have known better). I found the transmission was way over filled. The shifts just did not seem right making me check the fluid level. I pumped out 1 full qt of trans oil. The oil looked used to a bit dark but not bad and it smelled OK ish. It then shifted better for a about a thousand miles then this mysterious issue started about a few weeks ago.
Question; 1. If it is a hard part going bad, should I rebuild it myself or purchase a Napa rebuild trans with warranty. 2. Any suggestions to make this trans more reliable? Recommend any one or company in the SW Florida region to rebuild the trans? Suggestions?? I am not afraid to tackle the job myself if I can make it more reliable in the end. Transmissions should not fail in less than 100k miles.
Personal; This is my 4th Ranger and the first that needed any work other than normal maintenance. I never new this forum existed, I am glad I found it. I am a Ranger fan as many of you are. I build and race cars, I know the TH400 and Chrysler 727 inside out, but never opened a 5R44E before.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals