4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
What exactly is the point of these scams? I've seen them before. They just grab a pic off google and make a bunch of ads. Are they hoping someone is just dumb enough to send them cash before ever looking at the non-existent vehicle?

Took me 2 seconds to find the original images... And as you can see, the truck is from the warm tropical sunshine of Minnesota.
View attachment 25552

View attachment 25550View attachment 25551
That's exactly what they are hoping for. They hope someone will send a PP or money order to hold the vehicle, and then once it is received they disappear. And all that despite the huge warning on the bottom of the CL page.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 29781F0E77DE4B Expires: March 31, 2019

Bird76Mojo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 & 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 - 5.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4" Superlift
Tire Size
33"
My credo
Good enough
Some scammers only want active email addresses. They harvest the email addresses of the people that reply to their ad, and then sell the lists of valid email addresses to scammers working on other ways to steal people's money. Having a large list of valid email addresses can be worth some money to these people. Some will try to con people in to sending deposits on a truck, some will pretend to be the IRS or Paypal through spoofing emails, and some will create fishing pages and send you a link in an email that looks like a site you visit..

Turns out it's a good way for Africans to make a living. Off of Americans that don't know any better.

GB :)

adsm08

Supporting Member
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Some scammers only want active email addresses. They harvest the email addresses of the people that reply to their ad, and then sell the lists of valid email addresses to scammers working on other ways to steal people's money. Having a large list of valid email addresses can be worth some money to these people. Some will try to con people in to sending deposits on a truck, some will pretend to be the IRS or Paypal through spoofing emails, and some will create fishing pages and send you a link in an email that looks like a site you visit..

Turns out it's a good way for Africans to make a living. Off of Americans that don't know any better.

GB :)
This is why I don't do email on CL, or even check my email.

I also have lots of burner addresses that I will drop or kill the second I suspect they are compromised.

Dirtman

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
So friggin big!
My credo
give me money.
I now picture you grocery shopping in a tin foil hat...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I now picture you grocery shopping in a tin foil hat...
I have had more than one email address be hijacked over the years. I now keep my one main "professional" (not tied to an employer though) address and use it only for professional communications, job applications, sending things to family or people I work with, and my wife.

I keep and use several (usually only one at a time though) free emails from gmail and Hotmail or similar that I use for signing up for things that may get me on mailing lists or may eventually end up sold to someone (like on CL). That way I don't care if it gets locked down, or full of spam, I just cancel the account and make another one.

Even my good address is so old that despite my best efforts I get about 30 emails a day in it, about 300 junk mails to every one I want to see, and I need to contact the server admin right now because it did get hijacked and was being used for spam for about a month before I caught on.

The tin foil hat is reserved strictly for black tie events or driving within 15 miles of government buildings at the state level or higher. And cell phone towers, always wear a tin foil hat near a cell phone tower, otherwise you get brain cancer.

det107

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What exactly is the point of these scams?

After reading your credo in your avatar, pretty much that should give you a clue-

Bird76Mojo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 & 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 - 5.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4" Superlift
Tire Size
33"
My credo
Good enough
I've had the same Yahoo email address for something like 20+ years now. lol I've had it ever since my first experiences with the net after getting my first laptop.

I never get any spam emails in my inbox. Their filters work really well.

With a good password, it'll never be compromised.

Dirtman

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
So friggin big!
My credo
give me money.
Im very clear in my request. I don't lie, cheat, scam, or steal. Just.... Give me money.