• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5 trouble codes to high out off range

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Getting following codes now. 21,22,51,53,54. either out of range or high voltage voltage . Any ideas? Thanks

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You will get code 21 if the engine is not between 50-250 degrees. Easy to get this code when the engine is cold and the test is run.

Code 22 no MAP sensor signal

Code 51 High voltage reading on the engine coolant sensor

Code 53 Throttle position sensor voltage high

Code 54 Air Charge temp sensor voltage is high

On code 51, pull the plug off the sensor and put a jumper wire across the plug terminals. If you get a code 61 with the jumper, replace the sensor.

On code 53, disconnect the throttle position sensor plug and then run the code test again. If you get a code 63 with it unplugged, replace the TP sensor.

On code 54, unplug the air charge sensor plug and put a jumper wire across the plug. If you now get a code 64, replace the sensor.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thank you. can I do all this as a single test or do it one at a time?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Probably could do it all in one test and get a complete different set of codes depending on what was wrong. I would pull the battery cable off for a minute or so to clear the old codes out first.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I still have a MPSI or MSPI can't remember which that does all these makes and models till 95 I believe . I have cleared the codes so I will try today. I run the engine till it reaches temp. Just got the Factory Ford wiring diagram in for the 90 Ranger/B11. It appears that black and white wire runs all these circuits less the map sensor. Thanks again

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You will get code 21 if the engine is not between 50-250 degrees. Easy to get this code when the engine is cold and the test is run.

On code 51, pull the plug off the sensor and put a jumper wire across the plug terminals. If you get a code 61 with the jumper, replace the sensor.

On code 53, disconnect the throttle position sensor plug and then run the code test again. If you get a code 63 with it unplugged, replace the TP sensor.

On code 54, unplug the air charge sensor plug and put a jumper wire across the plug. If you now get a code 64, replace the sensor.
All codes changed. All that is brand new. However i pulled my grandsons in removed his ambient sensor and now I still get

all codes changed . All those sensors where new!. Pulled my grandsons B11 in pulled the the air charged sensor and the only code is 61 now. More junk parts. I will get another and see what happens.
The coolant sensor was the first thing I replaced go figure. Thanks , hopefully I won't have to bug you again. Have a good weekend . Ray

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
New parts now are terrible. Looks like you are really getting into this troubleshooting on the older systems, and since your grandson has one also, I recommend you buy this book. It's where I got the testing info from, I am not that smart and do not want to portray myself as being than smart either. This is a good book.

They sell another with the same name but a different picture on the cover. Not sure if it's the same with updates or not, so I made sure to link to the one I have.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
New parts now are terrible. Looks like you are really getting into this troubleshooting on the older systems, and since your grandson has one also, I recommend you buy this book. It's where I got the testing info from, I am not that smart and do not want to portray myself as being than smart either. This is a good book.

They sell another with the same name but a different picture on the cover. Not sure if it's the same with updates or not, so I made sure to link to the one I have.
I started this with my first grandson7 years ago. Totally did everything from brake system to transmission. 1988 Bronco 11. Pushing 100,000 know. 2 years or so my second grandson bought another. I guess I didn't learn. Bought my third grandson a 90 Ranger 2.9 now a 5 speed. The MPSI I bought maybe 30 years ago . My daughters liked Camaros! But anyway when all this began I had a feeling it blew the intake gasket. All of a sudden blow by. After I cleared the codes and 77 is all it has, I put the new ECM in , went to install new distributor new one felt like it was hitting something. Sure enough it blew the exhaust on one of them .I know better then to use nothing but Fel- Pro . Pulled an air charge out of a motor I have on a stand hooked up everything 10,30,77 is what's left. So I hope there's a Fel-Pro available. Thanks again Ray

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals