• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5 to 4 lug conversion

GLU

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm wondering if there's any way to convert a '92 2wd ranger to 4 lug. I'm wanting to put some small 4 lug wheels on the truck. Is there any way to convert?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Maybe some conversion spacers.
Talk to a machinist if there is enough room to drill new the lugs around the center hole, depends on stud spacing...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm not really a fan of wheel adaptors... but they make them.

Your Ranger is 5x4.5

Figure out the pattern on the wheels you want to use... and Google away and see what you find.

Another consideration is clearance for the front brake rotor... also have to consider backspacing.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
cross reference Mustang parts. there is supposed to be 1 side in the rear that guys would take from Rangers to put 5 lugs in Mustangs. not sure about the other side.
cross ref the front bearings to see if they match, maybe you could get Mustang front hubs.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
cross reference Mustang parts. there is supposed to be 1 side in the rear that guys would take from Rangers to put 5 lugs in Mustangs. not sure about the other side.
cross ref the front bearings to see if they match, maybe you could get Mustang front hubs.
Thast would be the long (left) side IIRC. Mustangs use two left axles from a 83-92 Ranger for a 5 lug conversion. Maybe you could cut down a mustang axle to fit the Ranger short side, but you'd have to take off almost 3 inches of the splined section so I have no idea if there would be enough left. Even if you did that, you'd still have to figure out the rest of the braking components. Probably from the same vehicle as you sourced the axle shafts from.

Easiest way to get what you want would be spacer/adapters.

Best way to get small diameter wheels is to find some you like in 5 lug that will clear your brake components. You probably won't be able to run much smaller than a 14" wheel and still clear the front brakes.

84tony

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ford made a 13" rim with 5 x 4.5" Bolt pattern back in the early 60's. They put them on Falcons and very early Mustangs. Probably hard to find now but they do exist. 6-cylinder Mustangs from the 60's were 4 lug rims, not sure on the bolt pattern size.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@GLU You need to tell us a little more about the 13" rims. There are 15 different 4 bolt patterns from 3.75" to 190mm. I don't know what they would have in Puerto Rico.

Ranger is 5x4.5" with 70.5mm center bore.​
60s 6 cyl Mustangs were 4 x 4.5" with 61.5mm center bore ; never seen 13" but several 14s.​
Mustang II is 4 x 4.25" with 63.4 center bore and either 13 or 14s; wife's 4 eye was same pattern with 390 TRX rims.​
Imports are all mostly 4 x 100mm​
Note: The issue isn't just bolt pattern, you need the center bore to be correct too.​

Technically, it is possible to drill rear axle shafts for 4 bolts, but you really would want different hubs for the front e.g. Fox body Mustang if 4 x 4.5" (80s T-bird/Cougars have 4 x 4.25)
There are ribs in back of Ranger hubs which would prevent bolts from seating properly in 4 bolt pattern and you would be damaging hubs integrity if you removed them.​

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@GLU You need to tell us a little more about the 13" rims. There are 15 different 4 bolt patterns from 3.75" to 190mm. I don't know what they would have in Puerto Rico.

Ranger is 5x4.5" with 70.5mm center bore.​
60s 6 cyl Mustangs were 4 x 4.5" with 61.5mm center bore ; never seen 13" but several 14s.​
Mustang II is 4 x 4.25" with 63.4 center bore and either 13 or 14s; wife's 4 eye was same pattern with 390 TRX rims.​
Imports are all mostly 4 x 100mm​
Note: The issue isn't just bolt pattern, you need the center bore to be correct too.​

Technically, it is possible to drill rear axle shafts for 4 bolts, but you really would want different hubs for the front e.g. Fox body Mustang if 4 x 4.5" (80s T-bird/Cougars have 4 x 4.25)
There are ribs in back of Ranger hubs which would prevent bolts from seating properly in 4 bolt pattern and you would be damaging hubs integrity if you removed them.​

GLU never said 13" wheels. Infact he never gave any information about the wheels other than small, and hasn't returned since making that post.

Even if he could match up the bearings, I don't don't think that running a mustang hub would be a viable option to do this. That generation of Ranger doesn't have separate hubs, the hub is integrated into the rotor. Since the calipers are mounted to those knuckles with slide clips their location is fixed. Even if you did find a 4 lug hub and bearings that would fit the spindle, I think it is unlikely you could find a rotor that would mount to to said hub and fit the caliper lcoation.

The later Rangers (1995+) that people do brake conversions on used bolt on calipers, so adapters cvan be made to relocate the calipers to fit the rotors. That just doesn;t work on the earlier trucks.

I agree with you accessment on redrilling one of those Ranger rotors for 4 lug. Not a good idea.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals