• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5 spd trans. question

Hitch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm new at this hope I'm posting in rite place. I have a 1989 Ranger 2.3 with a 5 spd trans. that is hard to shift to 5th gear & jumps out of reverse. My question is will a 1996 Ranger 2.5 with a 5 spd trans. fit my truck, thanks in advance.

Hitch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks they both are 2 wheel drive.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
'96 came with a 2.3. Are you sure it is a '96 and not a '98 or newer? If it is '98 it will still work but make sure you get the shift stick for the '98, yours will not bolt on to it. There might be an issue with VSS, not sure.
If it is indeed a '96 then it will be a direct swap.

Hitch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks for the help it's the same trans. but I have another question I'm in the process of swapping trans. out in my 1989 Ranger 2.3. I noticed the trans. that i was going to put in my truck had some wear marks on the end of the imput shaft where the pilot bearing rides, the imput shaft on the one I pulled out is good. Is there any trick to swapping them like any bearings that will fall out when I remove it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Replacing the pilot bearing? you can take some grease and pack it into the hole for the bearing, use a metal rod that will just fit inside the bearing and hit the rod with a hammer. It should push the grease out and force the bearing to pop out with it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals