• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5 Digit Odometer, How can I tell true miles?

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
My title says it is 126XXX miles. Odometer shows 26XXX. The truck is beat up enough to be 226K Is there any way to tell by the odo? The last 5 digit odo I had was my 81 wag. TIA

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
If there are a few owners, I would go ahead and guess 226k. If it is a single owner I'd go with 126k. If anything they probably didn't take care of it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4Cyl, 2.9 EFI V6
Transmission
Manual
Idk but if your title specifically says 126,000 then its probably right.. My title says "exceeds mechanical limit"..

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
if your odometer is Only a 5 digit then the Title should state "Exceeds mechanical limit"...No one should have every written a mileage on the title once it rolled over 100,000. It has instructions for it on the back.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have titles for vehicles that have 5-digit odometers. Some have said "exceeds mechanical limits" and others have an actual mileage number. In theory any vehicle that has a 5-digit odometer is supposed to say "exceeds mechanical limits" but if whoever owned the vehicle renewed their registration at over 100k miles and they wrote in the correct mileage, that mileage goes on the title.

The best way to try to determine what the actual mileage is would be to get a Carfax. As long as mileage was reported, it will show up on the report. I got a carfax on my one BII I had, it showed something funny with the mileage (but carfax never specified it as a problem). It all made sense when I pulled out the gauge cluster at one point and found a sticker confirming my suspicion that the cluster was swapped.... they swapped it with one from a 4.0L Ranger. But near as I could tell from the mileage that was reported and what the OD showed, I was able to determine that the truck had between 160k and 220k miles. Big spread, sure, but it was close enough for my purposes.

Part of the issue is that not all states require you to report your odometer reading when you renew your registration. PA requires the OD reading if you mail in the renewal, but if you do it online, they don't ask for it. Some other states don't ask at all, so there tends to be gaps.

And then you come to something like my F-150..... it has a 6-digit odometer (electronic to boot), supposedly had 69k miles on it when I got it. But it also had some strange discrepencies where things were worn out that shouldn't really have been in that low of mileage. I never bothered to get a carfax on it yet, but it makes one curious.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Yah , I bought the Ranger from a 20 something kid who was home from his teaching job in Spain on a leave. The truck sat for several months at his folks house. He was very sketchy about pertinent details such as the title, whether the engine was a 4 or a V6. He said the truck had a new engine, and that there had been some frame repairs. It had 4 good tires, drove and stopped OK, started easily with my jump pack. Waddya want for 600$ ? From its condition, it is a coin flip as to the real mileage. It could be a well maintained 226 K work truck or an abused 126k . The interior is beat up. There is no clutch pedal pad. and the metal is shiny. The engine runs OK so, I dont care . It will be a great truck for my purposes.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4Cyl, 2.9 EFI V6
Transmission
Manual
Yeah i'm pretty certain my ranger has 260,000 miles, (mechanic I bought it from told me so)
and the broncoII is up in the air..

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the best way to tell is to run a car fax report on it... i found out my ranger had 5 owners... also everytime it went into ford for a repair or went to emissions it had a date stamp as well as milage. Thats how i tracked down my ranger has 175,xxx on it...

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Bought mine from the original owner and he said it had rolled over twice, I've rolled it over once more, it has 324k on it now, title says exceeds mechanical limit though.

Last edited:

flatblack

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 ??
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bought mine from the original owner and he said it had rolled over twice, I've rolled it over once more, it has 324k on it now, title says exceeds mechanical limit though.

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl: Is you truck named webble wobble :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Carfax doesn't always report the real mileage. It reports registration mileages, but when I ran it on my B2 it didn't show any.

The other thing to consider is that your vehicle was on the road for a significant period of time before Carfax was around. I've seen trucks that are only 2 or 3 years old with almost 100K on them already.

The only way to do it for sure is to go get ALL the registrations and see how many times it has reset. And most states won't let you pull records from someone else registering assuming they even still have records that old.

matt167

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1930's Inspired
Make / Model
Custom built
Engine Size
300 I6
Transmission
Manual
every time it rolls over, the digits get farther and farther out of wack. you can gauge how many times it's rolled over by how far they are out.. they start out straight across.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
every time it rolls over, the digits get farther and farther out of wack. you can gauge how many times it's rolled over by how far they are out.. they start out straight across.
That is what I was looking for Thankyou.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals