• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.9 12v cummins in 1992 ford ranger 4x4

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
If you move the radiator in the back (or get creative with two small radiators, etc.) and use a manual transmission it won't be much more than a lift, engine mounts, new suspension and rearranging crap under the hood.

Ignore the diesel-knockers, it's your truck run what you want-but be prepared for a lot of work to make that heavy beast fit and ride. TDIs, 4BTs, and 617, and 605s have been done.

cumminsranger

Reaction score
I got the engine for free, I'm tired of gas engines, this little ranger is my first truck and I sold my other which was a 7.3 idi(loved it even though it didn't have no speed it had pulling power) everybody does the 4bt swap and I'm not everybody, I like to be different! Yes I love rolling coal and I miss picking up that green pump at th station to fuel up. This project of mine is gonna be different only a hand full of people have done this and I wanna be one of them. I prolly will put my truck on a dodge frame and make my own body mounts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cumminsranger

Reaction score
I got the engine for free and I just like the 6bt, I don't mind work cause it will make me like the project more saying I did it with my own hands

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
How about making a firewall behind the back seats. And have the engine and trans in the bed and part of the cab.....that may make it more easy

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you won't "like the look" of the engine in the back, will you "like the look" of your truck with a stretched out nose, or having the dash pushed back into your lap?

The only Ranger I've seen with a 6 cyl cummins had the entire front clip extended several inches, and still had to notch the firewall several more inches.
I just measured a Cummins 6.7, and it's about 41 inches from the front of the pullies to the rear of the bellhousing. I assume the 12V motors would be very similar since they haven't really changed the design since the 6Bt days.
To try and put the overall size into perspective, the largest engine I've seen in squarebody Rangers is a 460, which measures 32 inches long according to Ford, and those were very tight. Your 6Bt would be around 9 inches deeper than a 460!

This would be a huge undertaking. It would require lots of modifications to the body to get it to fit. The frame, suspension and entire drivetrain would need to be upgraded to handle the weight and torque. You'd have to do a body lift, a huge hood scoop, or some type of dry sump setup to fit the thing under the hood. I'd honestly consider doing a tube frame, and just hanging modified sheet metal to it.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
everybody does the 4bt swap and I'm not everybody, I like to be different!
While I generally discourage following the crowd because I believe that the stupidity of a group increases exponentially as membership increases (never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers) however if not a lot of people have done something there must be a reason for it. That being said doing something just to be different is not really a good reason.

cumminsranger

Reaction score
It's not the only reason I'm wanting to do it, I don't like the 4bt or gassers, there's nothing like a diesel, I know this is gonna be a very hard project but I'm up for it, diesel power magazine had a topic on swapping a diesel into anything and a guy put a 6bt into a square body s10 and one in a square body Dakota so why not a ranger

Cummins_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's not the only reason I'm wanting to do it, I don't like the 4bt or gassers

So whats not to like about a 4bt? lighter, takes up less real-estate, easily handles 400-500 ft./lbs. staying reliable.

Wish ya luck with it, it's going to take a lot of :icon_welder: :beer: :bawling: :dunno: :icon_idea: :mad: to get a project of that caliper done!

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
It's not the only reason I'm wanting to do it, I don't like the 4bt or gassers, there's nothing like a diesel, I know this is gonna be a very hard project but I'm up for it, diesel power magazine had a topic on swapping a diesel into anything and a guy put a 6bt into a square body s10 and one in a square body Dakota so why not a ranger

Gen your engine bolted up to the transmission, pull the front clip off the ranger, pull the ranger's engine/trans and start test fitting.

cumminsranger

Reaction score
What would be a good gear ratio to run so I don't just spin tires, I plan on putting my truck on 40s

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Gear ratios are way down the line. You're going to have to make that thing fit first.
When the time comes to worry about gears, think about what you want to do with the truck, and how much hp/tq you'll be making.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you are dead set on doing it I recommend moving your seats back to the rear window and modding the hell out of your firewall for room. Much cleaner look in the end. It will still look like a Ranger. I guy I know did this for his offroad truck so he could move his engine back for a more balanced truck. He likes flying it.

cumminsranger

Reaction score
I never thought about doing that, just curious idk if this is a stupid question or not but how do you know if the engine is at a balance point on the truck?

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
I never thought about doing that, just curious idk if this is a stupid question or not but how do you know if the engine is at a balance point on the truck?

Weigh the truck, ideally you want 50% up front and 50% in the rear

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals