• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.9 12v cummins in 1992 ford ranger 4x4

cumminsranger

Reaction score
I'm wanting to put a 5.9 cummins in my ranger and I need help as far as what is the best way about doing this? I've seen it done to a newer model ranger and a 2000 dodge Dakota so I know it can be done to mine, please help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Put it in the bed and drive around until you find someone that will trade you for the 4cyl version.

I6's don't fit well in Rangers... especially the older ones you like what you have.

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
If you're serious about it, you will need to make some compromises.

Any which way you're going to have to work around the low sump with some kind of a lift. The steering linkage might need to be massaged too.

The big obstacles:
Either relocate the radiator/ ac condensor/ etc. to the bed, giving the I6 enough room up front.
or
Get another set of fenders & hood, and cut them up to stretch your front end out a few more inches.

I love diesels, if you get it going post up a build thread.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
when I did my front clip swap/tubular inner-fenders/core support, I gained at least 6" under the hood.

i'm not saying to swap the front clip from a 2000 like I did, but I am saying that if you had a tubular core support, in place of the 4" thick one, and build it so that it tucks further up behind the header panel. it will net you a lot of additional under-hood length.

or you could youk know.......not swap a diesel engine into your truck

5.9L huh?
get the same displacement of gas engine, and put the same amount of boost to it. its torque numbers will out-do the diesel, its HP numbers will double it or better. all the while it will actually fit under you hood, while being a hundred pounds (or more) lighter. but the best part of all, it won't be diesel

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there was a program on tv where they installed a v8 in a b series and they had to EXTEND the fenders etc for it to fit! A straight 6 cyl will require the same and probably lengthening the frame or just mounting the body on a dodge frame and going from there. A 4BT has been fitted on several rangers, never saw or heard of a 6 cyl going in one.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
You'll need to seriously beef up your suspension and drive train to handle that engine, you are talking some serious modifications, your ranger won't look like a ranger by the time you get done, your best option is to use a smaller 4 cylinder diesel engine that straight 6 cummins diesel won't be easy to cram into the ranger. Not as hard in a Dakota because they're already putting V8's in them so the front end has a bit more room already than what the rangers have.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
that is literally a 975lb engine, the transmission that goes with it is a 100+lbs heavier than any gas transmission too.

seems like a ton of work for 400lb-ft. and at best 215hp. not to mention the drop in power/weight ratio.

cumminsranger

Reaction score
5.9 12v cummins in ranger?

I'm wanting to put a 5.9 cummins that I've recently acquired in my 1992 ford ranger 4x4, what all is needed and what do I need to do or know for this project to proceed? All help needed.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lots of money and time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
but the best part of all, it won't be diesel
Whats wrong with a diesel? The better fuel mileage? Better reliability? Better sound? I really wish the US would do what the rest of the world has been doing for years and use more small diesels.

I think it'd be a rather cool project, and it's OP's vehicle so therefore entirely his choice. He may not be worried about the output numbers, probably doesn't care that a gas will put out more.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whats wrong with a diesel? The better fuel mileage? Better reliability? Better sound? I really wish the US would do what the rest of the world has been doing for years and use more small diesels.
They are heavy, cold blooded and stupid expensive to work on for starters. Emissions are terrible unless it is saddled with a bunch of problem prone electronics.

IMO the 5.9 is more than a Ranger can really utilize as an engine. A smaller engine sure but I don't see the return on investment being there with that bif of an engine. The smaller one with 4 cylinders is fairly physically imposing (mainly in height) in a Ranger engine bay but has been done several times with good results.

It isn't popular for various reasons but it sounds like the GM V8 diesels (6.2/6.5) have decent bang for buck, Bobbywalter has had pretty good luck with his swap. They are not much bigger than a smallblock so the footprint isn't a huge difference compared the really common 302 swap.

Last edited:

cumminsranger

Reaction score
I think it's more time than money cause I can get my hands on most the stuff I think I might need

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Just do a V8 swap and enjoy the power and the less expense you will have to put out. Easier to do as well. Use the search function for V8 swaps and see how much easier it will be for you and your pocketbook.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
Whats wrong with a diesel? The better fuel mileage?-yes, it would have better mileage Better reliability?-Ha! Better sound?-do you really believe that? if so, contact a mental health professionalI really wish the US would do what the rest of the world has been doing for years and use more small diesels.-the operative word "small" diesels, a 975lb 5.9l engine, which is incapable of meeting today's emissions standards, and lacks quite a bit in the efficiency department. is hardly comparable to a Volkswagen TDI, or any other internationally used "small" diesel. again, I suggest you contact a mental health professional

I am also going to add, if you have ever intentionally said the phrase "roll-coal"....contact a mental health professional

if you think you think smoke stacks look cool on pickups....move to Massachusetts. I hear that they let your kind get married now

I think it'd be a rather cool project, and it's OP's vehicle so therefore entirely his choice. He may not be worried about the output numbers, probably doesn't care that a gas will put out more-if he is "not worried about the output numbers", he would be doing it purely for the sake of wasting time, money, and effort, all while adding several hundred pounds to the weight of the vehicle to boot. and yes that is "entirely his choice".
Just do a V8 swap and enjoy the power and the less expense you will have to put out. Easier to do as well. Use the search function for V8 swaps and see how much easier it will be for you and your pocketbook.
^^what he said

Last edited:

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some people in the other thread have the right idea. It'll be alot of work to get out just to fit. A has engine v8 would be about easier. It might even be easier to fit the ranger body on a full size frame. You still have to figure out a way to extend the body to get out to fit. Even the Cummins in a dodge is a tight size and it's a big truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals