• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.8L swap

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking at putting the 5.8L from a wrecked 96 f150 into my 96 ranger.

I have the whole truck, so all parts are available.

How does this swap work with the existing Ranger's electrical system? Would the wiring from a 96 5.0 explorer work on a 5.8 to make this a cleaner swap? Am I better off just using the 5.0?

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
5.8? Isn't it 4.6, 5.0, 5.4 and then v-10 or diesels. For ford neways... Less it's a new 6.0 raptor. Drool....

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
5.8L = 351ci

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just use the ecu and harness from the f150. And from I've seen you.will need a 70s passenger car manifold on one side and a bronco manifold on the other. There will also Linley be steering shaft clearence issues.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Does that 351 have a distributor, or the coil pack setup? Reason I ask, is the Explorer cam position sensor (in dist hole) will not work in the taller 351 block.

Should be no problem wiring the F150 Harness to your Ranger. Get an EVTM for each vehicle.

You'll want a dual sump 351 oilpan, and Mustang 5.0 mounts. Enjoy, let us know how it goes.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Use the electrical from the donor truck...you have it all there. You will need a dual sump pan. I made my own engine mounts but you will hear many differnt opinons. As far as exhaust you are going to need to try manifolds because it will depend on where you place the engine. The steering shaft and driver side manifold are going to try to share the same space. It's not much different from a normal 5.0 swap just more engine. Use the F150 transmission and opt for a physically smaller NP205 or 208 transfer case.

Matt

bearsrngr

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Use the electrical from the donor truck...you have it all there. You will need a dual sump pan. I made my own engine mounts but you will hear many differnt opinons. As far as exhaust you are going to need to try manifolds because it will depend on where you place the engine. The steering shaft and driver side manifold are going to try to share the same space. It's not much different from a normal 5.0 swap just more engine. Use the F150 transmission and opt for a physically smaller NP205 or 208 transfer case.

Matt
The F150 probably has an E40D trans so you may need a body lift to clear that monster.

allnpt0

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does that 351 have a distributor, or the coil pack setup? Reason I ask, is the Explorer cam position sensor (in dist hole) will not work in the taller 351 block.
The 351 will have a distributor.

Pete

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Yes good call on that, I don't believe the 4R70 was even an option behind a 351. The E4OD is a rather hard squeeze and a 4R70 would be more logical. Not too sure if just swapping a 4R70 into this setup would be a bolt in ordeal, it will fit fine but I do not believe that particular F150's computer will operate it. You would have to get the wiring from a 5.0L F150 that has a 4R70, which is ok because will also run a 5.8L engine. You would have to get it tuned i would imagine to get best performance from the 351 though. I could be totally wrong on this but in my time i was a mechanic I never have seen that combination in a stock 351 powered F150.

Matt

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't think I want to do a body lift. I am not positive what direction I'm going yet in the end, off-road or street, but I'm starting out STREET if possible. So the E4OD will probably get sold. That makes this ECU pretty much worthless for this swap and all I'm getting with this truck for the swap is the 5.8, right?

How about a manual? The Ranger is currently a manual anyway.

I'm also wondering if there's a good street use AWD t-case that could be worked in.

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
If you wouldn't use the E4OD i would believe the computer would be no good to you. As far as a manual for street you are going to need more along the lines of something mustang related, the tremec would be a good choice. The issue you will run into will be clutch issues that the mustang uses a cable and the ranger is hydraulic. Its been covered by many others before so you can make it work. But this only works well for a 2wd. To convert the tremec to 4x4 there are issues because you will need something from advanced adapeters and their selection for tremecs seems to be kinda limited anymore. As far as a 4x4 performace transmission there are none. If you are going to keep the power mild you could use the M5ODR2 5 speed from a 302/I-6 powered F-150. Be in mind it was never offered behind a 351...the ranger being lighter it would survive longer. The other option would be a ZF 5 speed from a 351 F-series but it was an option for other engines too. And of course you have older 4 speed options but everyone wants overdrive anymore. As far as an AWD t-case the only thing you will find would be something from an Expedition. Even then it would make more sense to use a part-time t-case. The 5.0 Explorer has a AWD t-case but most swap it out for a part-time case. What you plan to use the truck for will greatly dictate what manual transmission to use, an automatic is a little more forgiving in that aspect.

Matt

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The F-150 4.2 M5OD also had the SBF boltpattern, and from what I have heard the shifter is in a better location for a Ranger.

bearsrngr

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think I want to do a body lift. I am not positive what direction I'm going yet in the end, off-road or street, but I'm starting out STREET if possible. So the E4OD will probably get sold. That makes this ECU pretty much worthless for this swap and all I'm getting with this truck for the swap is the 5.8, right?

How about a manual? The Ranger is currently a manual anyway.

I'm also wondering if there's a good street use AWD t-case that could be worked in.
You could get an ECU from a 5.8 manual F150 if you want to use the truck wiring and a manual trans.

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I also have a 1981 F150 used for a plow truck. It has an inline 6 and a manual. I'll have to find out what it is. Guess I can put the plow on the scout this year too.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You failed to mention what your truck is (2WD or 4WD), and if its 2WD, what are you going to do for a front axle, SAS or TTB??
SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals