• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5&6 cylinders have a bad miss

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Extremely confused on this one. After a blown gasket replacement for the 5&6, the engine has what feels to be 2 dead cylinders.

From the start... when I bought this truck it had a strange miss,so I just replaced the engine with a good 1 I had from an explorer that I scrapped (kept engine as it was very low mileage). after replacing the engine I rechecked all the wire harness and the engine ran tip top till last week when I cooked the head gasket on the driver side, hence the tearing off the heads to replace a new set of gaskets.

After the original heads went back on, the engine had the same bad miss back in the last 2 cylinders.

OK thinking something not 100% correct decided to take off the head again and double check it and block; everything was A-OK. However, I decided to place another head that I have back onto the engine. ( I knew it is a good head) After bolting everything back up and doing everything humanly possible to get the engine running, still is bad miss. can pull either plug wire and the engine makes no difference.

what I have done - tested so far.

Compression tested the 2 pistons, both hit 150 PSI

Spark plug tested great spark, tested the electrical for the injectors, test light lit up in flashing for fire.

No oil is being burnt in the compression chamber, no steam from tail pipe either.

My guess is this is some ghost in the electrical system. what sensor(s) should I test or replace from my parts trucks)?

Any ideas? i am all ears. (1992 4X4 OHV style block)

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well if you can be certain it's not a compression issue then you have 2 options... no spark or no fuel.

Simple test is to run the engine, stop and pull the plugs on the offending cylinder(s) if they are wet with gas then you have a spark issue. If they are bone dry you have a fuel issue.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, ya I understand that concept, and I can see this problem if only 1 cylinder was acting up, but to have 2 dead cylinders isn't passing the sniff test. I have checked every wire, and connection. plugs etc. cheers

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
well not to sure whats next. leakdown test coming up and will probably pull the engine and see if it should be rebuilt i guess. Nothing I have looked at or done has fixed this problem. My guess is that the rings were cooked into the pistons and this has given the engine a strange misfire in the 2 adjoining cylinders. cheers

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
ok, Fixed this problem..... (over last couple weeks as time allowed)

Pulled the engine, re-ringed the 5&6 pistons and new con bearings. Re-honed the holes, returned all parts and placed the engine back into that gaping empty bay ...

Started it back up today... VRRROOOOM

My guess is the cylinders were washed clean as the walls were smooth with no cross-hatch. hence zero compression.

cheers

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Glad you got it fixed and posted the fix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals