• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.4 Triton in an ‘08 Ranger FX4?

Jmonsu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Manual
Hey Everyone! New member with a question for the experts.
I’ve got an ‘08 Ranger FX4 with a manual trans and a shot 4.0 SOHC motor. I’ve also got an ‘02 F150 Supercrew FX4 with an auto trans and a 5.4 Triton V8 that the insurance company is about to total because of a fender-bender that happened today.
Before I let the ins. co. give me next to nothing for the F150, I was thinking that if I could put the 5.4 into the Ranger it would take the sting out of the whole ordeal.
I’m fairly handy, but I don’t have welding or fabrication skills. Will I be getting in over my head if I try to do this? I’ve been reading that it can be done, but it’s not easy. Does anyone here have any experience with a similar swap? I’m not looking for the “you can do anything with enough time and money” comments, but rather good advice from someone who has already done it (or at least tried it) and can offer an opinion based on experience.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.
Jim

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I've never seen anyone do it, people have discussed it before with the 4.6 though but never seen a completed swap. The bottom line is the triton engines are just too damn wide to be a practical transplant into a ranger. I definitely would he interested to see if you go ahead with this and see how it comes out. People have done swaps with wide engines like the 3.5EB and one of the biggest issues I saw on that was there was no room for the steering shaft. It had to be completely removed and an entirely new steering setup fabbed from scratch to get the shaft to go around the engine. Brake booster and master probably need to be relocated as well, hvac box eliminated, potentially some firewall work etc etc. And don't forget the massive amounts or wiring needed to splice the two trucks together.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Oh and since your in NJ you may wanna check with the DMV. When they scan your truck for inspection the ECU info will obviously come up for the F150 and not the ranger. Generally they don't care about engine swaps IF the new engine is the same year or newer. They may give you crap about having an older engine in it. Normally I'd say screw it they will probably pass it, but given the amount of work you would need to do, verifying if you'll be able to drive it legally would be smart before you find out you just spent months building a truck you can't drive.

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I haven’t read this whole thread, but it looks like this guy did something about as close as you will get to what you want to do.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Can also checkout this thread.

Jmonsu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate all of the info and the links to threads from others who have done something similar in the past. At first glance I’m thinking I’d be WAY over my head if I try this, so I guess I’ll just have to fight the ins. co. for a reasonable settlement on the F150 if they total it when they come out this week.
So does anyone have a spare 4.0L SOHC motor lying around that they’d be willing to part with? Or does anyone want to buy an 08 Ranger FX4 with a dead power plant? I hate to part with the truck, but I can’t afford to spend a fortune on it.

Attachments

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
There shouldn't be a shortage of good SOHC mills to choose from. One source I'm not clear on is the Mustang - does anybody reading the thread know if there are any issues using the long block in a Ranger?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If they total the f150 you can always buy it back for whatever your deductible is with a salvage titile. So you have whatever money they offered plus the truck. If you have the time and patience you can generally part out the truck and make quite a bit of money. You'd be surprised what parts go for. A freaking cup holder could fetch 50 bucks. If the airbags didn't deploy they are worth a fortune. A few hundred or more for the engine, same with the trans, transfer case etc. Axles are a couple hundred a peice. You could end up making 2-3 grand or more just parting it, and when its basically a skeleton scrap it for another $300-500 in steel.

After that you got plenty of money for a brand new engine for the ranger.

Jmonsu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Manual
That’s a great idea, and certainly one that I’m considering. The damage was minor, and both the interior and exterior are in excellent condition for a truck that is nearly 20 y/o.

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Doesn't look too terrible, maybe a spring, wheel possibly an axle and of course a tire and you would have a truck to sell.

Truck prices are fricking stupid right now, it would probably still be worth more than it was a year ago.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
That thing is a gold mine for a part out! Also looks completely fixable unless there's frame damage. It will have crap resale value if you do fix it though because it will forever be stained by the salvage title.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Doesn't look too terrible, maybe a spring, wheel possibly an axle and of course a tire and you would have a truck to sell.

Truck prices are fricking stupid right now, it would probably still be worth more than it was a year ago.
Salvage title puts a massive hit on the value....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Salvage title puts a massive hit on the value....
Not so much on something that old.

It varies from state to state on how salvage titles are handed out too.

My '85 was totalled from hail 20 years ago and it still has a normal title. :dntknw:

Minimal parts if the frame is ok and the thing would still be worth a couple grand and you don't have to deal with parting it out.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Here in NJ once the insurance company totals it you can buy it back but the title is under salavage and you can't just fix and drive the truck. You have to fix it, get it inspected for safety and then re-titled. The new title and every title after that will always have a salvage mark on it. Which when you try to sell it sends up a bunch of red flags for the buyer. It's a real pain especially when they total something with just cosmetic damage. There is no safety or driveablity issue but its stuck with that salvage stigma. I think you can refuse the settlement from the insurance company which means they wont pay you a dime, but at least you keep the title clean. Though the accident will still be on the vehicle history.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Here is a complete drive train for your truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals