• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0L woes

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Ok I have a roller cammed 5.0L with the 351 firing order but it has the truck twin throttle body intake manifold on it (I add this because I believe only the 5.0 H.O. in the mustang had a roller cam). according to the mechanic this engine came out of a 92 econoline 250 but he reused the bronco computer because they both had the same transmission. I did a compression check and the crompression is in the 80 PSI range and even across the board (the worst being 78psi and the best being 86psi). since I cleaned the plugs and corrected the firing order (used the 351 firing order, don't remember where I read it, but I read somewhere that the 3/4 ton and bigger 5.0L vans have the 351 firing order) the engine now runs smooth but it is still blowing compression into the valve cover. I replaced the PCV valve and breather filter and discovered about a quart of oil under the air filter so the blow by is bad.

Last week when i changed the PCV valve I found milky oil after the engine ran for 20 min. I checked the water and it was down a gallon. today after doing the comression check, cleaning the plugs, and correcting the firing order i ran the engine for 20 min and no milky oil.

It is still trying to blow the oil cap off.

I think I am just going to pull the heads off and take a look but does anybody have any ideas? do I got the wrong engine/intake/computer combo? I need to get this running by friday and I plan on swaping in a 351 later like around august but I need it to run untill then.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
80psi is major whipped. I would test it with another gauge and then commit it to a rebuild.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
well thank ya sir...... I so wish I would have bought an explorer.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
PUt a good heathly 351W in it.

later,
Dustin

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
PUt a good heathly 351W in it.

later,
Dustin
gonna ...... but I need this engine to run by friday next, and I need it to keep running until august and thats not going to happen with all the coolant that its leaking. gonna need either head gaskets or an intake manifold gasket and if i get as far in it as the intake gasket then its not much more work to do the head gaskets. I bought this knowing full well it was getting wither a 351, 5.4L, or a 460 and out of those the 351 is the easiest, its a direct swap, all I need is an 87 - 95 running 351 and a computer for the E4od.

by the way Dustin, there is a 2001 Crown Vic interceptor up the road from me for $2500 OBO .........its a blue MSP cruiser. you still interested in a CVI?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Yes i would be.

Where do you live again man?

later,
Dustin

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Berrien Springs. its not that hard to find..... I am guessing about 120 miles from you.... I am 126 miles from Hillsdale.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
alright, found a running vin H 351 from a 94 F250. this is a MAF engine. is there anything i need to do to convert it to speed density. I do not get the harness or the computer (the whole reason he bought the truck was for his own wiring issues and the transmission) According to fordfuelinjection.com a speed density 351 computer pins out the same as the one I have......... or would it be better to convert to MAF? ..... what changes would I need to make to my harness? would the computer physically connect to my harness or is that different aswell.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Just throw on a nice edelbrock 650 with a performer intake. Problem solved :)

later,
Dustin

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Just throw on a nice edelbrock 650 with a performer intake. Problem solved :)

later,
Dustin
yeah except then the transmission won't shift properly and it will get around 10 mpg. not to mention never passing emissions again.... which isn't a problem now, but will be a problem if my wife gets stationed at FT. Lewis.... they require a washington inspection sticker to get a base sticker ...... so does any base in an area that requires emission testing. got to look forward to the future here. not to mention i hate carbs and got this one because it IS fuel injected.

plus that would change it from a drop in to a swap and if I was just going to do a swap I would go 460 because that does pin out the same (according to fordfuelinjection.com all EFI 460s are speed density and use the same harness). I would need an engine and transmission.... about the same amount of exhaust work as geting in the 351 and beings how its the same transmission except with a bigger bell housing then even that would be easy (well as easy as swaping the transmission)

no carbs. not a big carb fan...... even if I resotred a muscle car it would become fuel injected.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals