• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0L Conversion on 94 Ranger 2WD

Mr. Goodtimes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Disclaimer: long post ahead.

Short easy version: what do i need to do to get a 350hp 5.0 into my 1994 Ford ranger 2wd? I want to build a pre runner truck. I have a 20k budget for everything, engine, lift, rims, tires, etc...

I'm fixing to leave for Navy basic training and then my "A" school in the following month, so I'll be with out a vehicle for quite some time. I figure this would be the perfect time to start working on my ranger. The two biggest things I want to do to the truck is a Camburg 6in Coil over suspension lift, and a V8 Swap, 8in rear end, and a stronger transmission.

As far as the V8 swap goes.. Im looking for atleast 300hp, 350 would be better. Does ford racing sell an EFI 5.0L engine i could just order from them? I suppose my other option would be to pull a 5.0 from a doner vehicle of some kind and take it to a shop to have it built? It seems it would be cheaper and easier though to just order one from ford, brand new, 0 miles.

What should i do for a transmission? Im keeping it a 2wd so, would a 5spd out of a mustang work? I'm kind of hoping that maybe I could pull a drive train from a 5.0 mustang... Engine, computer, transmission, rear end, drive shaft.

Can i build a pretty kick ass pre runner with 20 grand? The things i want to do that come to mind first are, 4 wheel disc brakes, new tranny, v8, 8 in rear end, camburg suspension, lights, tires, wheels, roll cage.

I'm new to this and dont really know any other sources to check... all help will be much appreciated.

Ive been reading around the tech section of the websight and it seems a lot of people will do a 5.0 swap out of an explorer as that seems the easiest. I'm lookin for the best though, and not exactly the easiest. I dont wanna settle for ok.

Cheers,

Ryan

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i like this thread because i want a fuel injected 5.0 in my 94 too but all the 5.0 explorers are obdII and the 94 ranger is OBDI. so the wiring wont work exactly so what donor vehicle could i get a 5.0 or 351 out of that would still have mass air fuel injection and be OBDI???

sry to thread jack but i think it might help you too

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
i like this thread because i want a fuel injected 5.0 in my 94 too but all the 5.0 explorers are obdII and the 94 ranger is OBDI. so the wiring wont work exactly so what donor vehicle could i get a 5.0 or 351 out of that would still have mass air fuel injection and be OBDI???

sry to thread jack but i think it might help you too
OBDI/OBDII is of no concern when doing an EFI swap.

As for all the other question, Search and you will fond answers to everything. In fact, just reading the first two pages of this forum will do that, you won't even need the search button.

irish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are you shooting for 350 hp at the tire? Also have you considered going to a tremec transmission? Much more durable trans. I do not know a lot about truck suspension mods as of yet but I do know my 302s. What comes to mind when I read your post is a nice healthy 347. An 8.8 rear could handle that easily.

Matt

Mr. Goodtimes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are you shooting for 350 hp at the tire? Also have you considered going to a tremec transmission? Much more durable trans. I do not know a lot about truck suspension mods as of yet but I do know my 302s. What comes to mind when I read your post is a nice healthy 347. An 8.8 rear could handle that easily.

Matt
matt, i was under the assumption that the mustangs came with 8.8's and Tremec T56's? Ima go look into a 347 right now :icon_cheers:

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
A Tremec T56 is a 6 speed transmission ONLY found in 03-04 Cobras (and 00 Cobra Rs, as far as Fords go). They have modular engines in them, therefore will not work with a Windsor- based engine. Tremec DOES make a T56 for the Windsor engines but it is serious money. Your best bet for doing a 5 speed EFI swap is a Mustang/ FRPP engine harness and an A9L ECM (mass-air and OBD-1), and a T5 from a Mustang, a Tremec 3550/TKO/500/600 (popular upgrade from the T5), a pro-built T5 (Astro, G-Force), or an M5OD-R2 from a 2wd F150.
I don't know where you live or what you planning on doing with this truck (street, ORSCA-style racing, trail, dirt/dunes, or desert), all of this determines what kind of engine you should build. A 347 stroker is a nice LOW RPM torque motor, which would make for a nice street style engine with an occasional trip through the woods, but would NOT be a good choice for desert running or racing or something along those lines. You would need an engine that could run almost wide open all day long. If this is gonna be a mostly street truck, than a mild 347 or better yet a 331 will more than fit your 350hp needs. Plus I think that the F150 trans would be your better bet considering you are wanting to turn big heavy tall tires.

Last edited:

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
he said he wants to build a prerunner

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
he said he wants to build a prerunner
I understand that, but is he trying to build a PRERUNNER (real deal) or a "prerunner" (looks cool, runs pretty good and I can take it on some trails and daily drive it)...?

irish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm a mustang guy mainly, I'm not sure what all a prerunner is supposed to do. Maybe it would be helpful to know what you want to do with the truck, then figure out which engines powerband would be best.

Matt

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
I'm a Mustang guy, too (I currently have 3 of them and have had about 14 of them), but I'm into anything with wheels and an engine. Prerunner trucks are built to pre-run Baja races to map out the best routes and any obstacles before the Trophy trucks run the course. prerunner trucks are usually 2 wheel drive and are lifted with long travel suspensions to soak up the bumps and ruts of the desert terrain.

Mr. Goodtimes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm a mustang guy mainly, I'm not sure what all a prerunner is supposed to do. Maybe it would be helpful to know what you want to do with the truck, then figure out which engines powerband would be best.

Matt
i def want something that is streetable. This truck needs to be able to be daily drivin. I guess the best way to put it is, i cant afford to build a full blown pre runner, and i need something that is ok to drive daily. I want to be able to run some trails, and have some fun, however, it will be a fun truck. Im not going to take this thing out to mexico to race the baja 1000 in it... if i do, it would just be for fun and not to drive the piss out of.

I would prefer to build something that has a really flat power band in it, lots of low end torque. I'm a car guy, and admittedly, a GM car guy.

Im actually floating the idea around now of dropping an LS1 or LS2 into the truck. I know a lot more about GM motors then i do about ford motors, and my dad has a lot of knowledge about the LS powerplant. Does anybody here know anything about dropping an LS engine into the ranger series?

Cheers

irish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well a lot of guys are against Ford/Chevy mixing, I do not have a problem with it and am a fan of the ls1, it is a damned good motor. I would hazard a guess that it might be more of a challenge electronically if you stay fuel injected. However, streetable with good low end torque sounds like a recipe for 347 to me. Depending on which components you select and who you get a cam from it can be as nasty as you want, 350 at the tire is not hard to get with such a motor, I expect mine to do about 80-100 more then that but that is for a race car. Either way it is a cool project!

Matt

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I'm a car guy, and admittedly, a GM car guy.
Then build a shit-10 then.:annoyed: I am sure you can find info on droping in a ls into one of them. Hell some one probly has a complete bolt in kit with wiring harness ready to go for it.:shok:

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
Well a lot of guys are against Ford/Chevy mixing, I do not have a problem with it and am a fan of the ls1, it is a damned good motor. I would hazard a guess that it might be more of a challenge electronically if you stay fuel injected. However, streetable with good low end torque sounds like a recipe for 347 to me. Depending on which components you select and who you get a cam from it can be as nasty as you want, 350 at the tire is not hard to get with such a motor, I expect mine to do about 80-100 more then that but that is for a race car. Either way it is a cool project!

Matt
I'll have to go with Matt on this one. A 347 sounds like the way to go. Torque motor. Don't get me wrong I like and respect LS1s for what they are, but the torque curves on a 347 or any Ford motor at that matter are flatter and fatter than a comparable Bowtie. An LS1 is more of a street/strip type motor than one to push a truck through the woods unless it is something lightweight, which a Ranger is not so much.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals