• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 wont run right need help!

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
my truck is driving me nuts, the engine and wiring is all 2001 in my 94 ranger. It starts, idles and revs up mint but once under a load it pops and breaks up. I have new coils, plugs, wires, good fuel pressure, good compression etc. I have a sniper special forces gas tuner for it to disable the pats system and it is tuned for standard, no converters, and off road exhaust. I take the truck down the road and it lacks power adn starts popping and missing. It is throwing P1636, P0500, P0232, P01460, and P0645. I first looked into the the P1636 code and it sounded like it would make sense but i got another PCM and left it stock other than the PATS and got the same results and the same codes. The only thing that is not hooked up and working is the speedometer. I extended the lead for it and have a new speed sensor and still no speedo.

morse johnson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
after reading your post you have many codes im thinking either you have a ground wire not grounded or you have a major short either in your fuel circuit or ur ac circuit could be just a pinch wire when lowering the motor in. also was the donor vehicle running before you swap wiring and motor if so its a good chance its just a pinch wire. if it wasnt running you may have inherited this problem. get your multimeter out and start checking wires. check your fuel pump psi while running@idle you could have a weak fuel pump

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No shorts are showing. Psi is consistent at 65. The donor was from a scrap yard it ran fine 6 months prior to my purchase when they drove it to its spot. As far as pinching anything it is possible but I installed the driveline with the cab off and installed wiring last

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a way of checking the timing? I'm not sure how to set those cam position sensors.
What about simple stuff like plug routing? Have the proper firing order set?

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the timing reads 15 degrees at idle in "stock" tune according to my predators live data reading. I have new plugs and wires, the coils are good and the plug wire position are all correct according to my manual and my dads 97 5.0 explorer. The most recent thing i tried was playing with some of the sensors. I unplugged the maf sensor and it ran exactally the same...so i figured it must be bad because its plug all specs out as far as ground and voltage. Then i went to the parts store and gave away $100 for a reman one and plugged it in and it started and died. Then i for some odd reason decieded to dump fuel to it and bumped my tuner up to the max fuel adjustment and it started like a champ and idled great. well as soon as i even touch the throttle it dies. So then i brought the fuel down a little and it either dies right away or dies upon throttle. Then i got mad and plugged in my maf for my 24#injectors that i have yet to install in my mustang and it fired up and allowed me to give it throttle but it ran better unplugged than with this sensor more than likely because it is not for the injectors. so this has been quite the frusterating day, i can only figure that the reman part is no good and the parts store is replacing it for me tomorrow and i am also picking up a throttle position sensor. this way the only origional sensor on the damn thing is the crank sensor and that meets specification.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
May not help, but it will give you something to do for five minutes...

If your rig has 6 circuits, just ignore the two for the IAT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals