• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 Tranny

Tbmitchell

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Go Big Or Go Home
Transmission
Automatic
I Getting ready to do a carbed 5.0 into my 83 ranger its 4wd and i wanted to know what would be the best manual tranny to have my buddy said we can use a t5 with a tail adapter to bolt the tranny i just wanted to see what mght be another option

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
I'm getting ready to install an NV3550 5 speed out of a Jeep with the stock 2.9l transfer case. With all the adapters (bell housing & transfer case) it looks to be about 5 to 6 inches longer and is going to put the shifter about 4 inches forward in the cab vs. the stock 2.9L stuff. I hope it's not to long and runs into the gas tank. That's my biggest worry. I’ll try posting something after I attempt to install it over the next few weeks.

Here are a few photos of the trany
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/album.php?albumid=136

Last edited:

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
I just did some rough meassurments using my trany (NV3550) and it looks like I'll have a few inches in front of the gas tank. Should work. We are dropping everyhting in tomorrow and I'll let you know what happens and if the NV3550 is good.

Tbmitchell

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Go Big Or Go Home
Transmission
Automatic
I just did some rough meassurments using my trany (NV3550) and it looks like I'll have a few inches in front of the gas tank. Should work. We are dropping everyhting in tomorrow and I'll let you know what happens and if the NV3550 is good.
yea man keep me posted would love to see some pix when u get it in

mini

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford,
ford
Engine Size
2.3, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
an m5od fits in quite nicely ive done it on a few trucks 93 ranger and a 91 exploder and a couplde others

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Tbmitchell

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Go Big Or Go Home
Transmission
Automatic

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's out of a Jeep Wrangler between 2000 and 2003. The only issue is if you use this trany with you stock transfer case you’ll have to get new drive shafts. The adapters you have to use from advance adapters shortens the back drive shaft by about 2” and length the front by 2” or 3”. I got the trany from J&T http://www.jandtauto.com/. They have a pretty good inventory of parts for fords. I’ll keep you updated on how everything goes. Please keep in mind it’s not done yet. I could run into other problems, but it is look pretty good so far.

Since I started this project I have realized you need to meet people who have do these types of conversion to save you a lot of time and headaches. Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll be happy to pass along any info I know that you can actually apply to your conversion.

Last edited:

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
Geez, JoeyB, your making me feel bad about my T-18 now. That 3550 should be allright, but what for it trying to eat the front bearings. They had some trouble with them doing that when they first came out. V8 swap is looking good, and rolling along pretty quick. Keep it up. Mine is on hold again until the futzing weather decides to leave me alone some more.

fordman4x492

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.oh 3oh2 v8
Transmission
Automatic

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's a 1991 302 Cobra from a thunderbird. It's been a heck of a project. If I ever decided to do this again it will go a lot quicker now that I know some of the secrets (oil pan plug, motor mounts, headers, trany). As for eating the front bearings (I'm assuming you're talking about the front drive) I'm not going to use it enough to really worry about it.

The problem I have run into is finding a speedometer that is long enough. I'll have to work through that over the next few weeks. I also have a shop turning the new drive shafts (about $145) for the entire drive train.

I hope tomorrow I'll have a lot of little issues worked out but I'm sure it will take until Monday or Tuesday to get the parts due to the snow storm. I'll keep the photos rolling to help you out.

Last edited:

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
JoeyB, I was referring to the input shaft bearings of the tranny. As for a speedo cable, might I suggest looking into one from a 72 F250 4x. It used a divorced Xcase, and the cable is long enough that I am using it in my Ranger. I am not sure of the length, but if it can reach from the speedo, through the firewall, past my T18/cut down 1356, and on down to the divorce mount Dana 24, then it should def. be long enough for you.

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure about the bearing issue, but I guess I'll find out. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the tip on the speedo. I'll check into that. Last night I was at the auto part store and they found a 118" speedo that they thought would work. I believe the length of mine is about 80".

I hope you didn't get hit with all the snow we got here in Asheville. Bad timing on my part for this conversion. I could have used my truck this weekend.

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
Good to hear that you may have a speedo cable. That is one part that can be hard to find. As for the weather, nah, we only got about 5" of snow, but my truck is sitting in front of the garage, on a gravel/dirt pad, so any work is done when the ground is dry. Plus, it barely fits in there to start with, lengthwise. You can shut the doors by climbing in the bed, and locking them, so you can FORGET doing anything under the truck that requires it to be in the garage.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals