• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 t5 clutch throw

RichardBoat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm setting up a hydraulic system for my 5.0 ranger and I need to know how far the clutch fork needs to travel to completely disengage the clutch. I'm looking for a measurement at the mounting point on the fork. Can anyone give me some help with this?

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: BD8D9A3814E19D Expires July 5th, 2022

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
You will need to add an inch or two of preload, pressing on the clutch fork at rest.
Fine tune it by driving, find the sweet spot between zero slip, and no grinding to get into gear. That's what most of us have done.

Actual movement is not much, maybe 1.25".
You will want to put your slave rod to the shortest part of the fork, closest to the trans, for the most possible movement. Further out on the fork will make it easier to press, but less travel. On the inner most hole, my truck takes about 1/4 of the effort of my cable activated Mustang.

The Weasel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Teddyzee is right about having to mount the rod on the part of the arm that is closest to the transmission. I have an 84 ranger master cylinder and a slave cylinder kit from daze cars. It is 3/4 inch bore master cylinder and I am getting about 13/16-7/8 of throw at the rod. I made it work but it just feels like it has to much preload on in and I don't want to wear out the throwout bearing. I ordered a 7/8 bore master cylinder for a 1988-1991 ranger that looks like it will work. It is on backorder right now. I should have it by the end of October or early November. I will post something when I get it.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
That's what I have, 7/8" master, 3/4" slave.

Has about 10000km so far... No slip with big tires and tight Traction Lok, and no grinding.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The '93' Mustang shop manual calls for 1/10" of preload of the T.O. bearing which is about 1/2" at the lever after taking up all the slack. I think 1 1/4" is about the minimum travel.
Dave

RichardBoat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, thanks guys. Excellent help by the way

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad