• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 Swap

PNW Redneck

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I know the 5.0 swap has been done a billion times. Im heavily considering doing it and am already aware of the wiring and computer issues that may and will pop up. What im asking is will the T56 Trans bolt to an 01 5.0 out of an explorer, and are there any adapter plates or ways to bolt a TCase to it? or bolt the explorers AWD TCase to it?
Itl be going in 03 4.0 4wd ranger, and i would very very much like to keep 4wd, and swap it to manual.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
T56 has 2 Overdrive gears, so not seeing a good reason to use it in a 4x4, so top speed oriented not ratio oriented
Gears 1 to 4 are same as most 5 speeds, a 0.75 OD(like 5 speed) then another 0.50 OD

Yes, adapter plates are available, but pricey: https://www.cjponyparts.com/conversion-bellhousing-t-56-289-302-351w-351c/p/BELL14/

No, as far as I know the T56 was never used in a 4x4 or AWD, so no 4x4 tail shaft

T56 was used in these vehicles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg-Warner_T-56_transmission

Google: t56 2wd to 4wd conversion

Some have done it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals