• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 swap unforeseen issues.

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I guess it might be mostly me, because if I get in a check out line in a store, it will, without a doubt become the longest line in the store including Wally World. So, I did not expect the swap to go perfect.

I bought the ‘96 2 wheel drive Ranger, no radiator and partially disassembled engine so there was always a bit of a difficulty. I have the engine trans and rear (from the ‘99 Explorer) in the frame, cab on and just found out the Explorer radiator does not fit the frame. Solution appears to be purchase of a 4.0 or 3.0 and then see how much room left for electric fans.

The hood will not close because the engine sits too high, the truck is 2 wheel drive and already has a 1” cab/bed lift. I am wondering if a newer
cowl or raised hood will fit this body style before I modify the hood?

Much bigger problem is the wiring harnesses. If the PCM connector to the firewall mounted PCM Is connected, the 42 pin connector for the “engine/frame” connection is too short or vise a versa. Only one works, and the solution seems to be cut and splice. But, which harness?

I kinda wish I had not started this particular swap.
Comments appreciated.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It sounds like you have the motor mounts in the wrong place. Show alot of pictures.

Do you have the engine harness from the exploder? It should only be 11 wires that need repined.

4.0 rad and explorer accessory brackets will be fine. Make sure the engine is as far back as possible.

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Engine is as far back as possible. About 1/2" from plenum hitting firewall. Not sure what else I could do with mounts? I did jack the plates I made 1" higher, both sides to get the engine closer to level -side to side- and to add clearance at the oil pan - passenger "I" beam. Jacking the drivers side gave me much needed clearance on the remote oil filter adapter and steering box. The trans is also jacked up off the tranny cross member. Using plates, no washers for the jacking.

Even factoring in the engine being higher, the cab is higher so how is the PCM connector 3"-4" off when everything else connected?

I do have the Explorer with intact vehicle harness and the original Ranger engine/trans harness.

Will have to really study what I do next step!
I will try to find a 5 year old to help with pics.

Thanks

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Wow. I'm not an expert on that swap. But I think it would be wise to revisit the whole engine mount and transmission mount situation. What you did there is also going to affect your driveshaft alignment with the pinion flange at the rear differential. So pinion angle will need to be checked and possibly adjusted to minimize driveline vibrations. I have heard that sometimes a different oilpan is needed to clear the cross member. Not sure if this is one of those cases.

You might want to sit back for a few days and relax. Clear your head. Read a bunch of threads on here about others who have done this swap and how they overcame the issues you have. Then regroup and proceed.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
OK, forgot to mention the rear is sitting with the 6* pinion angle the Explorer seemed to have, working outside on grass. I kept that in mind the entire time setting it up. The trans is only sitting on 3/4" shim plates to try to level up engine a little. I am looking for a drive shaft, the original Ranger shaft is the longer of the two, still short by 5". The 1987 F-150 I am driving, is one piece Aluminum. If I can find another one, will shorten it. First one I have located wanted $150. I will NOT think about paying $150 and then having to cut and reweld it.

Lowering engine appears will have zero affect on wire harness, the 42 pin harness is extended much further on the Explorer than the factory Ranger. A splice somewhere is needed OR switch the entire harness over?

I might, might consider the dual sump oil pan if I can find one.
I plan to use an electric fan on 4.0 radiator. The engine is way high to use fan shroud even if I Switch the engine plates back to the lower ones, the shroud won't be close to center, the clutch fan is too long.

I wish now, they had never messed with my medication, then switched it back........

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
What oil pan?

Tib truck needs a fox pan, cut and inverted explorer pan or 2 in body lift and jacked mounts like you have.

Get a fox pan and use plates on 2.9 or 4.o mounts

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I thought it looked good without using one but with everything where it is close to needing to be, looks like I figured wrong. Dual sump pan and pick up seems to be the best way to go, found a pan, not sure about pick up price, looks like about $125. total. By lowering the engine that 1” it might go back a little further? Not much, but maybe. If I drop the 1” on the driver side, it HAS to go back for the oil filter remote adapter to clear steering box.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
You make your own plate mounts and mod the 6 mounts down you will be about 3 inches lower ....from there the rest is CAKE

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Bobby Walter, not sure I fully understand? I can make or mod the plates, but modify the V-6 mounts?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
If you do spring eye mounts you can use a lopro Canton and get about 6 inches lower..
EM-2643 (1).jpg

s-l400 (6).jpg

This style can put you low.

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
This truck is 2 wheel drive with I beam. I ain't seeing that as possible even with a different oil pan.
I still haven't taken time to figure out how to load pics but do do you have pics of an install?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Theres many here

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
All-star performance sells the old school comet type mount for 15 each and plates for 30 ish.

With explorer pan. If you measure rail to k member from 90° should be close to 7 or even plus. With down mount and pan 4 in is doable before modding k and pan. It eliminates need for body lift and minimizes or mitigate HVAC issues.

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My biggest fear is the passenger I beam crashing into the pan before it bottoms out on the rubber frame snubber. That part of the Fox body pan my cousin has does not look like it will do much for me but, a 1/2" here and there might be enough to do it.
I probably had enough room, but barely, to clear the steering box with the remote oil filter adapter on drivers side. Taking the extra 1" out will put me back to "barely."

Whether I drop the engine or not, (much needed) the spark plugs replacement looks very doable. It goes in with new plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets.

Thanks for the help. Engine comes back out this weekend.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals