• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 Swap PATS Issue (2007 Ranger)

Innocent Fool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have completed the 5.0 engine swap from a 2001 Explorer into a 2007 Ranger.
All the mechanical bolted up OK but am having trouble with PATS.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to get the 2007 Ranger body harness & Keys to work with the 2001 Expo engine harness and ECU?

Done allot of research but info seems to top out for 2004+ conversions

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's because in 2004 Rangers all got HEC(digital dash) with PATS inside it, and a MATCHED computer(PCM) so one won't work without the other
So it can be done just a few extra layers of electronics to get thru
Your 2007 Dash won't work with 2001 PCM, i.e. some gauges and warning lights, and of course PATS issue

The PATS system for 2001 Computer(PCM) had 2 wires directly from the transceiver
Transceiver is the ring/antenna around the key slot, it has 4 wires
In 2007 the ran to the Dash/cluster
You need to run those 2 wires to the 2001 PCM
The2 Power and ground wires should be OK as is

Diagrams below

You "might" need to Ground the Starter Rely in the engine bay fuse box, unless you used the 2001 Explorer Fuse box, 2001 and 2007 both use PCM to ground that relay if PATS test was OK, but wiring itself may be different to that relay

Not sure what to do about the HEC dash, wiring and cluster swap from 2003 or earlier may be the only way around that
HEC, hybrid electronic cluster, used 2 data lines from the PCM to get gauge data, with no PCM(sending out that data) there is nothing to display

Attachments

Last edited:

Innocent Fool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info and drawings. Gives me a place to start.
Next question was going to be about the odometer reading but looks like you've already answered that.

Thanks Again

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You should have no problem getting a running engine and trans with the 2001 V8 computer, so a drive-able vehicle
If automatic, shifting may be an issue without speed sensor hookup
Most people that do Ranger V8 swaps need to use a speed interface device anyway, look at the SGI-100BT, you don't have a speedometer to hook up to it but it would make trans shifting better

The gauges are a separate matter entirely

Example of 2001 Ranger cluster and 2007 Ranger cluster

2007 Fuel gauge looks like it was still analog, and oil pressure, but just Maybe
The rest are for sure digital
And 2007 Cluster was "married" to its Computer at the factory so people could no longer swap in lower mile odometers, either can be "re-married"/replaced but just not to a 2001 computer because it doesn't have, and can't be loaded with the needed software

Attachments

Last edited:

grzmnky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 2006 mazda b2300 that i will be v8 swapping shortly. my thought to get around the 2004+ electronic bullcrap is to find a 2000 yr or so truck and swap out all the cab wiring to make it a pre 2004 cab. then maybe everything will work fine?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would be a nightmare "trying" to do it that way

I would sell the 2006 and buy a 2003 or older Ranger with a bad engine and/or transmission to do the V8 swap

You CAN DO the 2006 swap, but will be alot of work and take alot of time trying to get all the modules to work
2004/5 Rangers got CAN bus network, all the modules(i.e. ABS, SRS, Airbag, cruise, cluster, PCM, ect....) are all hooked together in a network exchanging info
And if you are going to strip down a 2000 Ranger for all the wring and modules, why not just USE a 2000 Ranger, lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals