• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 swap and SAS "Half-Pint"

Rooster

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I’ll try running them down the radius arm in the future. Thanks for the heads up. I won’t be doing any serious wheeling with it for a little while, hopefully these will work for just driving it on the street

Speaking of which, I drove it in my driveway yesterday! Made it about five feet! I hadn’t welded the rear leaf perches to the axle yet, so as soon as I gave it a little gas, the axle rotated and the driveshaft broke... oops. It was a crappy driveshaft anyway, I’ll order a nice one tomorrow. I’m just happy it finally moved! I also discovered during the test drive that my power steering pump is shot. It would barely turn the tires and it whines like crazy. I have another one laying around somewhere from that green explorer, but if that one doesn’t work I’ll look into doing a conversion to a Saginaw pump

Rooster

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Front and rear shocks are in, rear leaf perches are welded. Front shocks are tough country sx6000. The rears are some old stock shocks from an explorer or something. I didn’t want to use my new shocks on the stock mounts cause they’d probably bottom out. When I put the 9 inch in I’ll fabricate better shock mounts for the rear. I ordered a new driveshaft from Tom woods, it should be here tomorrow.

Rooster

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Replaced the power steering pump with the one off the green truck and it sucks too😂 Got my driveshaft yesterday and I was able to take the truck for a test drive! Went around the neighborhood a couple times, no major issues. I need to get a new power steering pump, and the front end definitely needs bump stops before I go drive for real. Overall a good first drive though!

JoelAClear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
👏 Very nicely done.

Rooster

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Some updates:
Got a brand new PS pump put in, it works much better. Probably won’t have to go with a Saginaw pump anytime soon, the steering is fine now

I put in some polyurethane bump stops temporarily so I could drive it. I got some stinger bump stops that I want to put on eventually, but I need to work out some clearance issues first. The track bar contacts the oil pan at about 2.5 inches of compression. I want to get more up travel than that, so I’m looking into ways to fix it. I want to cut a channel in the oil pan to make room for the track bar, but if that’s not possible then I might have to make a new track bar.
The engine is running a little rough. It got better once I put some fresh gas in, but I still have a few codes to get rid of

Rooster

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Did a home alignment this weekend after watching the dirt lifestyle video on YouTube. His videos are really helpful.

Been fighting those codes (p0171 and p0174) for a while now, I changed gaskets, replaced o2 sensors (don’t worry, I didn’t buy new ones), and changed the whole fuel sending unit. The sending unit helped a lot, the fuel pump was pretty shot and my fuel gauge seemed inaccurate. Don’t buy the master pro fuel pump from O’Reillys, the sock dissolved in my tank in less than a year.

The codes continued to pop up, so I figured it was a vacuum leak I just couldn’t find. Rather than spending $100 to get the engine smoke tested, I made my own smoke machine. Found a leak in the EGR valve. So hopefully soon I can get the truck inspected and start driving it regularly.

here is the video I found showing how to make the smoke machine:

Naddanme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just caught up on this build. Looking good. Can’t wait to see it get dirty. 😂

Rooster

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4

Rooster

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Wound up having to helicoil the holes in the upper intake where the EGR valve bolts on, but I think the vacuum leak is gone! Hopefully next weekend I can get it inspected/registered

Rooster

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Inspected and registered! Now I need to make it off road worthy (rear axle, front driveshaft, etc.)

Rooster

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I made some rock sliders this week. Still need to paint them and weld them to the frame. I started the disassembly of the Ford 9 inch rear end, I’m hoping to get it installed by the end of the month, some friends of mine are going on a wheeling trip in January and I’m trying to get the truck ready by then

Rooster

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Well, that’s not supposed to look like that😬
I guess the rear axle is going to take longer than I expected

Rooster

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
So I didn’t get the truck finished in time, but I still took it on the trip. Didn’t go on any trails, but I did get to test out the suspension a little on some rocks

Right now the rear flexes way more than the front. I definitely have some room for improvement on the front suspension, I need to change up my bump stop setup. I can even get a little more flex out of the rear once I put on the new shocks. The rear tire rubs the fender slightly, that can be trimmed though.

Here’s a group photo:

Rooster

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Been working on the 9 inch a lot, I’ll do a whole post on that when it’s done. While I’ve been waiting on parts I worked on adding some “accessories”
I made some light mounts that sandwich between the fender and the body. I stuck a KC light on there just to see how it looks, I’ll probably get some smaller pods to put there though.

I also mounted some radios in the truck, I made a bracket that connects to the visor clips so I didn’t have to drill into the roof

seveer13

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Just front torsion lift 2.75"
My credo
You win some, you lose some. And if you're lucky, you get some!
Absolutely love this build wish I had the money to duplicate it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals