• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 swap, 00 Ranger and 97 Explorer

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I hear you. Really wish I could have done things the easier way. When I did this swap for my dad years ago it was a 99 Mountaineer into a 2000 Ranger. The hardest part was putting engine and transmission in at the same time without removing the radiator support. Drilled one hole in the motor mount while it was in the truck and spliced like 5 wires. Had to get a dealership to reflash the pcm because we didn’t get the pats module and keys, which most dealerships didn’t want to touch, but now I have Forscan on my laptop so that isn’t an issue, I can make PATs accept keys.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So after an extended hiatus from this due to weather, life, and problems with everything else I own… I’m finally back to this project. Got everything set back up, organized, re-oriented to it and got started on it again today. Really would like to do a ton of mods to this but I need it on the road yesterday so I’m feeling ok with just doing what I have to to get it back together and aside from a little bit to the motor, it’s ready to put back together. Or at least until I get to the rear axle. Not sure how that will go. It’s my intention to use the complete Explorer rear axle, spring under, traction bars and all. Since frame differences exist, I have no idea what fab work will be required and I’m thinking what will probably happen is pull my rear when I’m done with the front, roll the Explorer setup under, and work it out then. Which doesn’t really worry me, I do a lot of redneck fab work. I have a torch, welder, and BFH. Cut to size, beat to shape, weld as required. Someday I’ll have better fab gear.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Is the Ranger rear end bad?

I would swap in the engine and run the ranger rear end if it's good.

Are the gear ratios the same on both vehicles?

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I converted the ‘96 Ranger and I used the ‘99 Mountaineer rear and spring set up (under tubes) and shackles to get the stock height back. 3.73 and used ‘96 Ranger 4X4 rear shocks with a piece of 3” channel (upper cross member-frame rail to frame rail) with little brackets bolted on the rear of the channel to catch the top bolt of the rear shocks. Rear shocks on Ranger on opposite sides of differential and both are on the rear of the Explorer diff.

I rebent the factory sway bars (1”dia.??) to meet the Ranger frame and dropped other brackets to match up. Saved the area for the spare tire and made brackets for a mini step bumper.

I wound up using a Dakota Digital (read about them here) for speedometer and had the ECM reflashed to remove PATS by a guy in Florida.
I average 15.1- 16.5 MPG but I think my mileage would be better if someone else drove it??

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Is the Ranger rear end bad?

I would swap in the engine and run the ranger rear end if it's good.

Are the gear ratios the same on both vehicles?
Ranger rear end is ok, other than it’s got a leaking wheel seal (again) and the fill plug is rusted in place. It’s also an open rear axle with 4.10 gears.

The Explorer axle set is 3.73 ls and does not appear to have any leaks or issues. I’m thinking the 3.73s will help with fuel economy a little and the 5.0 shouldn’t care even if I have the little trailer hooked up.

Already have the front axle out and getting ready to bolt the Explorer one in there. 4-wheel disks and limited slip seemed a worthy effort. Plus anything to help my wallet a little with my heavy right boot.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I converted the ‘96 Ranger and I used the ‘99 Mountaineer rear and spring set up (under tubes) and shackles to get the stock height back. 3.73 and used ‘96 Ranger 4X4 rear shocks with a piece of 3” channel (upper cross member-frame rail to frame rail) with little brackets bolted on the rear of the channel to catch the top bolt of the rear shocks. Rear shocks on Ranger on opposite sides of differential and both are on the rear of the Explorer diff.

I rebent the factory sway bars (1”dia.??) to meet the Ranger frame and dropped other brackets to match up. Saved the area for the spare tire and made brackets for a mini step bumper.

I wound up using a Dakota Digital (read about them here) for speedometer and had the ECM reflashed to remove PATS by a guy in Florida.
I average 15.1- 16.5 MPG but I think my mileage would be better if someone else drove it??
Kinda what I was figuring would probably have to be done. Glad to hear from someone who has done it that it’s not a major headache though

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I thought, at least for me, it would be easier than cutting off brackets and rewelding every thing. Sway bar cared me.

Trouble is, with the additional springs it rides real bad unless there is a small load in the bed. The Explorer is 1,000 lbs. heavier.

I did have to rewire the starter/solenoid circuit, alternator and a/c wiring and have the power steering hose made.

Remote oil filter and Fox Body oil pan. Electric fans.
Pretty much all that stuff was in write ups on this site.
With parts availability, probably no two are identical?

It is fun in traffic

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Ranger rear end is ok, other than it’s got a leaking wheel seal (again) and the fill plug is rusted in place. It’s also an open rear axle with 4.10 gears.

The Explorer axle set is 3.73 ls and does not appear to have any leaks or issues. I’m thinking the 3.73s will help with fuel economy a little and the 5.0 shouldn’t care even if I have the little trailer hooked up.

Already have the front axle out and getting ready to bolt the Explorer one in there. 4-wheel disks and limited slip seemed a worthy effort. Plus anything to help my wallet a little with my heavy right boot.
I have 3.73's in mine and its automatic 4x4 with manual shift bw4406 obs headers. I get around 17-18 depending on how I drive.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have 3.73's in mine and its automatic 4x4 with manual shift bw4406 obs headers. I get around 17-18 depending on how I drive.
That’s what I’m looking to get

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So, the project is back on temporary hold. 7 spark plugs came out nice and easy. One broke. Spent hours working at that plug only to have the easy out snap off despite my efforts to the contrary. Efforts to remove that have thus far failed. Pretty sure at this point I need to pull the head and take it to a machine shop. Kicking around the idea of just saying fawk it and have the motor rebuilt at this point. Been working on the red Ranger to try and get an automatic back on the road so I can turn my attention back to this one.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I thought, at least for me, it would be easier than cutting off brackets and rewelding every thing. Sway bar cared me.

Trouble is, with the additional springs it rides real bad unless there is a small load in the bed. The Explorer is 1,000 lbs. heavier.

I did have to rewire the starter/solenoid circuit, alternator and a/c wiring and have the power steering hose made.

Remote oil filter and Fox Body oil pan. Electric fans.
Pretty much all that stuff was in write ups on this site.
With parts availability, probably no two are identical?

It is fun in traffic
Not really a worry, as much as I prefer the look of a soft tonneau on it, I ended up bowing to necessity and putting my old cap on it and there’s usually a variety of stuff in the bed. Have even been kicking around the idea of adding another leaf to the packs because I’m notoriously hard on springs.

I was going to rebuild the starter wiring. Both the harness from the 4.0 and from the donor were hacked by previous owners. I will use welding cable for the heavy stuff and usually oversized THHN for the rest. Always upgrade stuff on my trucks, wiring is one of my hobbies. Just got done with a new starter harness and batter/alternator wiring in my red Ranger.

I’m gonna leave the oil filter where it is, but I’m looking at doing electric power steering and fans to free up a couple ponies and because, well, I can. Maybe. If I can find a happy home for the power steering pump. Not worried about hoses for the power steering, I can make up -AN stuff for that, have some -6an PTFE stainless braided line and fittings for whatever I end up doing for it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals