• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 swap, 00 Ranger and 97 Explorer

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I’m going to start a thread here to try and detail the swap and to ask questions. This isn’t my first swap, I did a 00 Ranger and 99 Mountaineer swap with my dad a few years back, which proved to be quite easy, just a couple minor adjustments, like 5 wires spliced and the hardest part was getting PATS programmed. I was the mechanic and dad was the help on that job.

Well, I’ve always wanted one of my own so here we are, my transmission gave up in my Ranger and the motor is tired. I was given what was supposed to be a 99 Explorer, Eddie Bauer with a 5.0. Turned out to be a build date of 5/97 though. It will fire over with a shot of starting fluid but the fuel pump appears to be done in.

I’m intending to change the axles over, it has 3.73ls axles which I think should work well since the motor should turn those pretty good even running 31s. I haven’t decided if I should try to keep it spring under or if I should flip the perches. I’m not really intending to lift the truck, it’s mostly going to be a street toy/sleeper. The ABS block I was intending to swap over since if I remember right, the valving is different for the disk brake rear, but I can already see there is a major wiring difference between them. Not sure how to handle that yet.

My original intent was to rebuild the 5.0 as a 331 stroker, but it’s not in the budget at the moment nor do I really have the time. That said, I am open to ideas of less expensive and intensive ideas to give her a little boost until such time that I can get a motor built for it.

I also need to figure out how much of an issue it’s going to be with the VSS since it’s supposed to be different and what to do about the difference in fuel systems.

That all said, I have noticed something interesting with this Explorer. The ignition cylinder looks identical to the PATS cylinder and the key I got is the non-chip key, the spare type for a PATS key. I also get a chime when the key is out of the ignition and the door is open which makes me wonder if somehow it was a PATS system and somebody bypassed the chip key. Not sure what to look for with that other than dragging my laptop to it and see what Forscan says.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So tomorrow I’m going to start really digging into this project. Talked with @holyford86 tonight about it and he said he can help me out with figuring out any issues. Still would like to run a few things past @PetroleumJunkie412 since I’m thinking of doing his power steering mod plus an e-fan and whatever else I can throw in without burning too much time or money at the moment.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Nobody has any input? Weird...:word::lame:

Andrew.V

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 fx4 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hi so just read your post i did a 1999 explorer to 1999 ranger swap i just swapped the dash engine bay harness then repined the harness for the rear wiring like tail lights and fuel pump that's what i did at least. for the pats question open the glove box all the way down heres a link https://www.ranger-forums.com/8-cylinder-tech-34/photo-log-pats-installation-48794/ hope that link helps the explorer one is identical in appearance. for a fan i ran this fan https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-ELECTRIC-RADIATOR-FAN-HIGH-3000-CFM-THERMOSTAT-WIRING-SWITCH-RELAY-KIT-BLACK/233364997350?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 in the stock shroud with some homemade brackets only problem is at an idle for to long the a/c over pressured on me other then that hasten over heated yet, disclaimer it was 30 degrees Celsius . Hope that helps a bit

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
05/97 5.0 likely does not have PATS so that's a plus.

Will also likely have a lower pressure fuel injection w/return system so a few challenges there.

Think the a/c wiring might be a challenge.

The brakes should be fine moving to the 8.8 disk brake axle.

Early '97 will also likely have a transmission output shaft driven VSS, solves a lot of speed signal issues that the later 5.0's bring with them to the Rangers.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I got the correct ABS box for swapping axles without wiring (hopefully)

Got an electric Power Steering pump, we’ll see how this all works out.

As per @PetroleumJunkie412, I picked up an E-fan out of a Mercedes

Managed to get my hands on a returnless fuel rail, but only 5 injectors. Either have to come up with three more or buy a whole set?

Torque Monster headers are on the way...

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Electric power steering pump? Any reason why? The explorer pump works perfect

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Going to see how feasible it is to go electric. Might be hard finding room for it but we will see. Wanted to free up room on the motor and the little power the pump takes, plus experiment a bit. One advantage to the electric one is full power steering even with the engine off. I haven’t fully committed to it in the Ranger yet, but I’m definitely going that route in my choptop, I’ve had to steer too many times with a dead motor in that.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Its just better vs belt drive. No engine bog when turning at low speed.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
3.73 and 31's is just fine, that's the setup I have on my 5.0L explorer right now and it works just fine, I shimmed up the LS in the back and it still works great 40k miles later...

are you going to keep the AWD setup or go full 4x4? A 4406 transfer case from a '97-03 F150 will bolt in with some drive shaft changes, front shaft from a 4.6L F150 or Expedition and I don't know on the rear, the front shaft will need a 1330 to 1310 conversion U joint though.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
3.73 and 31's is just fine, that's the setup I have on my 5.0L explorer right now and it works just fine, I shimmed up the LS in the back and it still works great 40k miles later...

are you going to keep the AWD setup or go full 4x4? A 4406 transfer case from a '97-03 F150 will bolt in with some drive shaft changes, front shaft from a 4.6L F150 or Expedition and I don't know on the rear, the front shaft will need a 1330 to 1310 conversion U joint though.
Yeah, I would like to shim the LS. Any idea if it’s just LS in the rear axle or if it’s LS in both?

I’m intending on keeping the AWD setup. I may miss having low range from time to time, but the auto trans will help make up for it. Plus I still have my F-150, Choptop and 88 that will all be regular 4x4s. The Ranger is more of a DD/street toy that will see dirt and hauling and stuff too, but that’s because I use my toys, lol. AWD should work fine for my intended use and it’s less messing around with driveshafts and such.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have no idea on any of the 3 of mine whether they are L/S up front, but I doubt it...

The AWD T case weighs nothing and doesn't seem to drag the gas mileage down, for those uses it wouldn't be bad

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Lightly used Torque Monster headers are here! Have to get some stuff done to the Ranger while the drivetrain is out of the way, then I can get to work on putting things together

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Hey.

Put a 2.9 in it.

I had to.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
One of these days, I too, will have a 5.0 AWD Ranger.

one of these days. :(

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals