• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 IAC issues

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My 92 mustang 5.0 with a power dyne blower develops an issue with the IAC ones a year where the rpms will go up to 1500 at an idle or after a downshift will stay at 2500 and keeps the engine at that speed while driving. I can accelerate past that rpm but won't drop below that speed. Voltage on the tps is correct and has a new one. If I replace the iac it will be fine until next year but I can't imagine all of the motorcraft iac will go bad that fast. I know they got issues with the cheap ones. Any idea?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My 92 mustang 5.0 with a power dyne blower develops an issue with the IAC ones a year where the rpms will go up to 1500 at an idle or after a downshift will stay at 2500 and keeps the engine at that speed while driving. I can accelerate past that rpm but won't drop below that speed. Voltage on the tps is correct and has a new one. If I replace the iac it will be fine until next year but I can't imagine all of the motorcraft iac will go bad that fast. I know they got issues with the cheap ones. Any idea?
It only does it once a year?

Wonder if something with the blower is fucking them up

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It only does it once a year?

Wonder if something with the blower is fucking them up
No Idea, it runs fine for awhile then I will get the same issue once a year then I will replace it. Sometimes you can get it to stop doing it If you shut it off then restart it, but it will start acting up again either after a while of stop and start or the next day after driving a lil.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
No Idea, it runs fine for awhile then I will get the same issue once a year then I will replace it. Sometimes you can get it to stop doing it If you shut it off then restart it, but it will start acting up again either after a while of stop and start or the next day after driving a lil.
Hmm.

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
I’ve never bothered to buy a Motorcraft one when I’ve had a problem. I bought the one from Autozone that had the “lifetime“ warranty. If/when it developed a problem I just took it back and said warranty it. Even replaced one or two in the parking lot. It’s on top and two bolts plus a wiring connector. 30 seconds to swap, plus a couple minutes inside demanding a replacement. Annoying, but whatever. Now that I have a commercial account I just call and tell them to send it for warranty, guy comes and brings the new part and I hand him the old one and all is well. Simple stuff like that I find annoying, but that’s about it. Who cares how often it goes bad if I can swap it in 30 seconds and someone is dumb enough to warranty it for life. See how long I keep a vehicle running like that, lol. My vehicles are lifetime warrantied through Autozone… :icon_rofl:;missingteeth;

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I wonder if one of the race guys would know?

@Maritime Drag Racing any ideas? I can't remember the other person's handle.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have had a fair number of issues with iac valves, including one that was bad (sticky) right out of the box new. I would try a different brand.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I wonder if one of the spacers would help. I put one on the ranger like 3 years ago or so, I don't remember why, but that IAC hasn't gone bad since.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I’ve never bothered to buy a Motorcraft one when I’ve had a problem. I bought the one from Autozone that had the “lifetime“ warranty. If/when it developed a problem I just took it back and said warranty it. Even replaced one or two in the parking lot. It’s on top and two bolts plus a wiring connector. 30 seconds to swap, plus a couple minutes inside demanding a replacement. Annoying, but whatever. Now that I have a commercial account I just call and tell them to send it for warranty, guy comes and brings the new part and I hand him the old one and all is well. Simple stuff like that I find annoying, but that’s about it. Who cares how often it goes bad if I can swap it in 30 seconds and someone is dumb enough to warranty it for life. See how long I keep a vehicle running like that, lol. My vehicles are lifetime warrantied through Autozone… :icon_rofl:;missingteeth;
I had an 89 F250 i got 5 or 6 valucraft starters out of them over the course of about 1.5 years. Finally they cut me off. Come to find out it was a flywheel issue,

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
I had an 89 F250 i got 5 or 6 valucraft starters out of them over the course of about 1.5 years. Finally they cut me off. Come to find out it was a flywheel issue,
I never bought the ValueCrap. Don’t forget, I worked for Autozone years ago. I saw ValueCraft stuff fail right out of the box so often for awhile any time we sold a starter or alternator, we tested it right out of the box before selling it to someone. My preference has been the Duralast Gold when I can, Duralast (the red box) if I have to. Sometimes like brakes I will go as high on the scale that I can. If a part dies partially quickly, I try to investigate and see if the problem is on my end. Sometimes it’s just junk quality. Like my clutch slave cylinder in the F-150. I killed like 4 of them in 4 years. At that point the transmission came out (M5OD) and got swapped to what I wanted (ZF5). I swapped my blown slave from the old trans for a replacement slave for the new one which was heavier duty but unfortunately a “new and improved” hose retaining deal that wouldn’t hold the hose. Well, there’s now a stainless retaining deal I made with dad’s help bolted to the bellhousing that holds it together.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I never bought the ValueCrap. Don’t forget, I worked for Autozone years ago. I saw ValueCraft stuff fail right out of the box so often for awhile any time we sold a starter or alternator, we tested it right out of the box before selling it to someone. My preference has been the Duralast Gold when I can, Duralast (the red box) if I have to. Sometimes like brakes I will go as high on the scale that I can. If a part dies partially quickly, I try to investigate and see if the problem is on my end. Sometimes it’s just junk quality. Like my clutch slave cylinder in the F-150. I killed like 4 of them in 4 years. At that point the transmission came out (M5OD) and got swapped to what I wanted (ZF5). I swapped my blown slave from the old trans for a replacement slave for the new one which was heavier duty but unfortunately a “new and improved” hose retaining deal that wouldn’t hold the hose. Well, there’s now a stainless retaining deal I made with dad’s help bolted to the bellhousing that holds it together.
I just bought the VC cause it was all they had in stock. Otherwise yeah i usually buy atleaat duralast assuming i buy from AZ

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
thats a common issue on forced induction. especially if you run hot. there used to be a little adjuster deal that sandwiched in there with a screw like a carb back in the day for bigger cams and forced induction....similar to this https://lmr.com/products/how-to-install-mustang-idle-air-control-adjuster-86-93

there is the gm style that i seen alot the last few years....but that is mostly for aftermarket ecm guys...

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I did order the spacer for the IAC hopefully that will fix it until I can get around to doing the Trick flow top end kit I have for the car. I like the blower and all but I don't want to spend the money on a vortec so I would rather just refresh the block to a 306 or go 331 stroker and call it a day. I don't want to go to crazy with this car it's a cruiser. Maybe cowl hood stay 4 lug but go disc in the back. I'm saving the big bucks for the Model A roadster and a 25 Buick I wanna build down the road.

If I find a termi motor or coyote with a Whipple I would do that but.... $$$$$$$

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals