• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 Headers - Do they actually exist?

wyatthansen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Gentlemen, my apologies for yet another headers thread but I have found no helpful information on other threads and every link in every thread seems to be expired.

I am currently putting together a 2000 Ranger with a 2000 explorer 5.0, M5ODR2 Tranny, and BW4406 t-case

Here is what I have done in my search for headers:
- Contacted Bob from Torque Monster, he replied to my email a week later saying lead times were 10-12 weeks but he could make me a pair. Never heard back from him. This was two weeks ago. Unresponsive to both calls and email.
- A month or so ago I saw a set of new "Maximizer" Headers for the 2000 explorer shaped much like the TM's on ebay, should have grabbed them but they sold out too fast and the ebay seller no longer exists (maybe a scam?)
- Searched everywhere for OBX headers, their website has a set listed with part number 501-1501-12 for $996.99 but no purchasing options and no customer support/someone to talk to. Megatunning.com has the same set listed on their website but I think that website has long been abandoned, no emails and phone number is not active
- Called all around Tucson and Phoenix area for a header fabricator, apparently its a lost art and nobody does it even though their websites say "custom headers"
- Beat my head against a wall
- Followed as many leads on any ranger forum I could find

With that being said does anyone know anything about getting headers for this truck? I'll even do a cheaper pair that I have to cut up and reweld if I can but I haven't seen much on the forums of guys doing that let alone part numbers.

Does anyone know where I could get a used set of headers? Maybe a friend of a friend?

Anything helps, I wouldn't post here if I didn't try my damnest to figure out the answer myself. Thanks.

BiggSherm1988

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
none...yet
Total Drop
not for me
If you are willing to cut some up and reweld, why not just build some? just get some bends, straights, and some collectors and start making what you need.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
jegs or those types of places don't show anything?

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My research has led me to conclude that the cast Explorer factory exhaust manifolds are the best option short of a total custom build.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Short of ordering the TM's and waiting for months, I don't think you really have any options besides custom build or accept the stock manifolds.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My research has led me to conclude that the cast Explorer factory exhaust manifolds are the best option short of a total custom build.
That is the route I would go.

Side perk, the downpipes are available drop in so no weirdness to deal with there.

I have actually mulled going to manifolds for that reason...

wyatthansen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies. Ill try responding to them all here.

I don't necessarily want to start from scratch on headers, I'll have to pay someone for the welds so I'm looking for something that I could possibly cut in a few places and reweld. But as of now building custom ones is not an option I have pulled off the table.

jegs and other well known header manufactures show nothing for my specific swap.

I can't accept the stock cast manifolds with a clear mind, seeing three cylinders all routed through one singular tube does not sit right with me. Besides that the diameter of the tubes are also small enough to make me not want to use them.

I also don't want to wait 3-4 months for TMs. I think what I'll end up doing is trying to find a cheap set of returnable headers and see if I can get away with some cuts/bends/rewelds. If I can do that I will definitely come back to this forum with pictures, processes, and part numbers so guys in the future can have something a little more specific to go off of. Hopefully I can figure something out for this swap that can also save other people time and money too.

I'll have the engine back from the shop in about 2 weeks so I still have time to throw up other ideas if anyone wants to add on. Thanks

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My understanding is the guy who makes the TM headers does it as a side project and not his regular job, which is why he isn’t very responsive and is always way behind in producing them.

The eBay headers for these randomly come and go, usually it’s one of the millions of random Chinese accounts on there selling them and it’s a crapshoot. Usually you get something resembling what you ordered but I’ve heard fit complaints

Airdrop13

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I also looked all over trying to find someone to build a set. No one wanted to do it. So I bit the bullet and ordered a set of TM headers. Took almost 9 months to get them. Communication with Bob was hit or miss.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals