• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 Engine misfire but no codes

justin969au

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 97 ford explorer 5.0 V8 in a 2000 ranger. The complete wiring harness from the 4 door explorer is in this vehicle. This is my second 5.0 that has been in this vehicle. I have now been having problems with the engine misfiring, with no misfire cylinder codes. Doing 55 down the road it will start to chug and back fire. Then it will clear up. Then another minute later it will do it again to the point where you hit the gas and it has no power but bogs down. Then once it clears you can feel the power again. I have change many things including the computer, EGR valve, o2 sensors, coil pack, plug wires, plugs, throttle body, throttle position sensor, pcv valve, cam position sensor, crankshaft sensor, Mass air flow sensor. I have checked fuel pressure and that is good. Also checked the fuel pump filter and that is good as well along with the fuel filter. I have no clue what the problem could be. I pulled the other engine out thinking that was the problem, but now this engine is doing the same exact thing. This engine that is in the vehicle now runs perfect when it wants to. No other problems beside it bogging down and having no power while doing 45,55 and 65. Then clears up if you also put it to the floor, but comes right back when you let off. It will randomly clear up when it wants to and run good for 10 miles. Please help. Thank you.

tneymeiyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like to me the dpfe sensor mounts to back of intake and has to do with egr

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would do(get) a live scan, see what the computer is doing when this happens.

See if it is leaning out or not, could be the computer itself is having little temper tantrums, so not reporting any problems.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals