• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 EFI Swap 1992 Ranger - Wiring Harness Help

RUSigx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, we are trying to button up a project that my father had some folks working on before he passed away. We have a 1992 Ranger Extra Cab that they dropped a Mustang 5.0 EFI motor in and automatic transmission.

We have found there are a few items left to take care of but we are in need of a wiring harness for the truck and a V8 computer. I dont have a clue on which wiring harness to buy that will work with the EFI and and V8 computer as well as the Ranger's components. Someone mentioned buying a stand alone harness and someone else mentioned a painless harness.

Is it better to buy an aftermarket stand alone harness, if so which one? Will a Mustang or F-150 factory harness work, if so which years would work?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. If the gauges in the truck dont work I think we can live with that as we are just trying to get it running.

Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

1992 Ranger will have used the older EEC-IV 60-pin computer and wiring harness, OBD1

In 1995 Rangers and most Fords were changed to the newer, and still used, EEC-V 104-pin computer.

For obvious reasons a 60 wire computer would be easier to deal with than a 104 wire computer, lol

So a 1994 and earlier 5.0l computer and engine wiring harness would be best.

But there may be another issue, around 1984 Ford started using computer control for automatic transmissions, until 1994 they were pretty simple Torque converter lock(TCC) and Over Drive shift(3-4).
After that they were full shift control, so needed the newer computer, or a separate shift controller, big $$

Do you know what automatic is in there now?
The older AOD or the C6 didn't need computer control
AOD-E, E4OD and 4R70W did.

1992 Ranger also needs a speedometer cable, 1995 and up used electronic speedometer, so trans needs to have speedo cable gear

Last edited:

RUSigx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I believe it has a standard early 90's mustang automatic transmission. The guy working on it for us says he just needs a mustang V8 computer and a stand alone wiring harness to get it running.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
EEC, ECU, PCM are all abbreviations used for the computer
Google: Ford A9P
Also A9L, you could use either, although the P would be better

P is for automatic
L is for manual trans

These were mustang EEC-IV computers

yes stand alone harness or Mustang harness
Read here: http://sth2.com/mustang/Mustang-EFI-harness.pdf

AOD trans was used until 1993 in V8 mustangs, so no computer control needed
It will have speedo cable hook up but you may need to change it's gear to match ranger tire size and axle ratio, to make speedometer accurate.

Great combo for this swap, your Dad knew his stuff, sorry to read about his passing

Acgallen

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0 306
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Did you end up doing the swap? Working on this same swap myself and getting lost in the wiring.

carcraft302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
putting 5.0 in 97 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I fried my computer because I used a standard T5 transmission O2 sensor harness with an automatic computer in the 87-93 Ford Mass Air. One of the hard lessons I learned. You need to match computer and O2 sensor harness. Ron Francis sells the proper harness. You Tube has videos about the O2 sensor harness and the difference between them and why it fries the computer. I am trying to figure out where to get a new computer. I am wondering if I can find a VIN number for a fox body mustang with auto trans and order one from one of the companies. the original one I had was a stand alone from Ford motor sports

Acgallen

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0 306
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I fried my computer because I used a standard T5 transmission O2 sensor harness with an automatic computer in the 87-93 Ford Mass Air. One of the hard lessons I learned. You need to match computer and O2 sensor harness. Ron Francis sells the proper harness. You Tube has videos about the O2 sensor harness and the difference between them and why it fries the computer. I am trying to figure out where to get a new computer. I am wondering if I can find a VIN number for a fox body mustang with auto trans and order one from one of the companies. the original one I had was a stand alone from Ford motor sports
Thank you for that info, i have a auto harness now but am planning on getting a T5. I actually just went to the junkyard and found plenty of old squarebody f150's with 5.0 and 5.8's. Found some with the whole harness and computer in tact, will probobly do that.

jbeach3101

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
flipped rear shackles
Tire Size
265/45/18
I used an 89 fox harness and A9P ecu with my manual 5.0 swap. The a9P is the auto ECU. The wiring was very simple and most of the colors matched the Ranger body harness. If you have the original harness, you can easily trace wires and then cut the plugs off and solder them to the fox. There is a wiring link in the swap overview on TRS and it goes over the Ford motorsport harness, Basically a fox harness without the AC and other small stuff in it.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals