• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 conversion no fire

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I was hoping I had all questions related to this swap behind me, alas, not to be.
1996 Ranger, straight cab longbed. 5.0, tranny and rear from wrecked '99 Mountaineer.
I worked out the bugs and it is needing an oil change, (the 3rd) with 10K from combo hiway and "town" driving. MPG, 14.5-19.2
It has been my daily driver since Dec and this morning went to start and there was a crank, a clunk, and then free cranking.
To compound my issues, I went through a move and cannot find my Haynes Explorer manual, but do have the Ranger one.
I have 12 volt at the coil pacs but when cranking the signal wire does not change. I have been able to find very little information on the internet, need the BOOK!
The tack does not move, unplugging the Cam Position Sensor and replugging does nothing.

Last Sept or so, I purchased a 1996 ECM and was using it to start the truck, it wouldn't shift out of 2nd. I finally found a guy in Florida (I am in Virginia) that removed PATS and like I said, right at 10K today.
About a month ago, I had to do some work at a friends house and sitting in the bushes was a tri-colored (different fenders/doors) Explorer. It is a 1996 5-0 all wheel drive with a slipping trans, burning oil when they parked it with 300K+ on it.

He might give it to me. I am going to see if I can borrow the ECM just to swap to see if mine went bad. With no schematics, I am limited what to test.
Does anyone have a link to some wiring I can use?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Sounds like you answered your own question. No rpm signal. The PCM has no idea the engine is cranking over.

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Changed out the de-PATS- '99 ECM for a '96 ECM from a parked vehicle. No change.
!996 5.0 ran when parked.
No start, no tach movement.
Will not start with ether.

Again, not sure what to check. I will pull a few plugs and check compression,
The "clunk" noise from Sunday kind of worries me?

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Pulled three (3) plugs, some are a bear to get to, best to jack up and remove front wheels for the rear plugs, each side so I didn't.
Compression was lower than expected on the guage I was using but the 3 were within 10% of each other. around 100.
The smell of raw gas was strong and the plugs were wet.

I need to figure this out, going after a manual I reckon.

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Kind of a weird ending. I spoke with a retired Ford Dealership mechanic and he said "It won't start if the plugs are wet."
Next day, talking to a Community College ASE course instructor he said, "Ford use to have some problems with the coolant temp sensors calling for lots of fuel like cold starts or something."
I went home and pulled the fuel relay from the fuse box and she started right up, missed a little, flattened out and sounded good then ran out of fuel. "Rinse repeat."
I picked up two (2) senors at the autoparts thinking the two different colored plugs would equate to two different sensors, because the parts guy said it calls for two different ones. Wrong, both are same, different connectors.
I somehow chose and changed the one that was bad, have now drove over 200 miles, with two new sensors.
Tach does not move when cranking and starting, I either sent myself down a rabbit trail or there is something funky about my set up?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals