• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 AWD to 4x4 conversion help

SmurfBlu97

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" ...ish
Tire Size
33"x10.5"R15
Hi all, I have been trying to identify what all I need parts wise. I have a '97 Ranger with a '96 Mountaineer 5.0/4R70w/AWD tcase. I have the 8.8 rear end and Dana 35 TTB front end. I got this truck without any of the 4x4 pieces forward of the tcase. So, I want to keep the auto, but swap the tcase to a manual shift BW4406 with manual hubs. I have a 3" body lift so far, but will be going with the James Duff 6" suspension kit. Ideally I want to get rid of the body lift, but I can keep it, or go to smaller one if I need to extra space. So far, as I understand, I need the BW4406 out of a '97-'03 F150, and the driveshafts, along with Ranger driveshafts to build hybrid driveshafts. So I guess I'd like for some advice, or better info on what I should be looking for, as well as locating a front differential/axle shafts. Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

SmurfBlu97

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" ...ish
Tire Size
33"x10.5"R15
I am sure you have seen this thread: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/convert-v8-awd-to-bw-4406-manual-shift-a-how-to-thread.166726/

Only difference is the rear drive shaft, because explorers and Ranger had different wheel bases but the front drive train was the same up thru 2001

Manual transfer cases can be hard to find...........but the shifter/linkages are REALLY hard to find, so heads up, get a COMPLETE manual transfer case
Yes I had seen that, wasn't sure if it would translate to the ranger so thank you! Also really appreciate the heads up about the tcase. I'd prefer a manual shift, I think guys here told me they were stronger. Is the electronic shift 4406 a better option if parts are that hard to find?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Manual shift is not stronger that electric shift, every thing is the same inside transfer case as far as gear and shaft sizes

Manual is BETTER as far as reliability, like manual transmission is more reliable or manual hubs, pretty much anything that doesn't require electricity is more reliable but less convenient, lol

Electric shift adds a switch, an electronic control module, wiring and an electric shift motor, so just more things that need to work to do the same thing you can do with a little muscle power and a floor shifter

In my opinion Manual is the way to go, but if you can't get one then its not an option, have to go electric

SmurfBlu97

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" ...ish
Tire Size
33"x10.5"R15
Manual shift is not stronger that electric shift, every thing is the same inside transfer case as far as gear and shaft sizes

Manual is BETTER as far as reliability, like manual transmission is more reliable or manual hubs, pretty much anything that doesn't require electricity is more reliable but less convenient, lol

Electric shift adds a switch, an electronic control module, wiring and an electric shift motor, so just more things that need to work to do the same thing you can do with a little muscle power and a floor shifter

In my opinion Manual is the way to go, but if you can't get one then its not an option, have to go electric
Okay well reliability is what I want too, thank you for clarifying. I won't be rock crawling this thing, but I do intend to put some miles in off-road, so I will definitely try to find a manual shift. Appreciate y'all!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
don't limit your search to V8 F150s, 4.2 V6s also came with the 4406 manual Tcase.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
And the V6 ones were far more likely to be manual shift t-case than the V8 ones were.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Are you still running the stock GEM and have the 4wd switches installed? If so, it honestly might make sense to consider sticking with the electric shift version. At that point everything is just plug and play (as far as i know). Plus those are easier to find than the manual cases with linkage.

SmurfBlu97

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" ...ish
Tire Size
33"x10.5"R15
As far as part
Are you still running the stock GEM and have the 4wd switches installed? If so, it honestly might make sense to consider sticking with the electric shift version. At that point everything is just plug and play (as far as i know). Plus those are easier to find than the manual cases with linkage.
I do not, I got this truck for a great deal, already converted. When the previous owner did the engine swap, he swapped the entire dash, console and seats too. Which was also a consideration, I have plenty of room on the floorboard to fit a shifter.

I did not know about the 4.2's having the 4406, thanks for pointing me in the right direction yall!

SmurfBlu97

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" ...ish
Tire Size
33"x10.5"R15
don't limit your search to V8 F150s, 4.2 V6s also came with the 4406 manual Tcase.
Do you happen to know what years these run that I could pull from? I'm assuming the 10th generation F150's

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm pretty sure it's just anything (F150 wise) with a manual transfer case in the first round body style... for my '00 Explorer I got a $50 transfer case from craigslist that unfortunately didn't have the shift linkage, but found one at the junkyard... then grabbed one junkyard driveshaft I think and one craigslist driveshaft if memory serves... The junkyard by work is having a huge sale to clear out the yard, I need to get in there and grab some stuff, there's a 4406 manual and a bunch of expeditions lined up in the same row...

SmurfBlu97

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" ...ish
Tire Size
33"x10.5"R15
I'm pretty sure it's just anything (F150 wise) with a manual transfer case in the first round body style... for my '00 Explorer I got a $50 transfer case from craigslist that unfortunately didn't have the shift linkage, but found one at the junkyard... then grabbed one junkyard driveshaft I think and one craigslist driveshaft if memory serves... The junkyard by work is having a huge sale to clear out the yard, I need to get in there and grab some stuff, there's a 4406 manual and a bunch of expeditions lined up in the same row...
I'm surprised to hear how difficult it is to find the shift linkage, these trucks aren't all that old...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The problem is the linkage is attached to the transmission, and people don't expect others to be modifying things and doing odd swaps, they expect you just need a transfer case because the old one is broken... not because you want your 4x4 to work when you expect it to... :). This is the beginning of the manual transfer cases going away, so they aren't very common as well so it just adds to it...

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I'm surprised to hear how difficult it is to find the shift linkage, these trucks aren't all that old...
linkages don't break often, so they don't sell, so they get torched when the tcase is removed

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals