• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 01 Ranger / No Crank No Start

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Shotgun attempt to get my truck running..

I have an 01 ranger with a 2000 5.0 (explorer) swap. It's gotten colder here and may have caused an issue. Got to a Walmart fine, wouldn't crank when I tried to leave. Only issue I have had in the past electrically was cable corrosion on the terminals, but I've kept it in check.

Situation:
Went to start and heard only a click. The motor didn't even try to crank. Tried beating the starter with a hammer, same result. Replaced the starter, same result. I should've checked fuses first but cannot dtsfmine which in the power distribution box. I'm looking for the starter relay or anything else related.

I read that the starter solenoid was attached to the starter but don't know of any other location to check. Next is me retracing my steps from a year ago to see if any of my solder joints broke.. My mileage stopped registering on the counter at the turn of 170k. I doubt the issue is connected, but it is another variable.

I want to leave the new starter in place until I figure out the problem. Any pointers would be real nice..

I'm looking for everything I need to test in the starting system. I don't have a volt meter.. Pretty sure the engine is getting fuel. Also hooked up a trickle charger on its highest setting. Tried starting after a few minutes and the terminals sparked while the charger was connected. Never saw that before.

Any ideas or suggestions?

It's only getting colder

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Sounds like you have hit most of the basics.

Double check the battery cables again.

I did have this happen to my 4.0 Ranger... when it got cold out I had teh exact symptoms you did. replaced the fender mounted solenoid, checked the cables, checked the battery. no go. later in the day it had warmed up about 15 degrees or so and I went out and it fired right up!

So the next morning it did the >click< and nothing else trick again. this time I went out with my wife's hair dryer and an extension cord and got under the truck and heated up the starter with it for 5 minutes. Fired right up.

you have a new starter in it, but is it a good starter?

Did you load test the battery? if you turn the lights on do they shine bright or do they dim considerably? Autozone can load test the battery for you.

AJ

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't load tested the battery yet. It was replaced about 5 months ago but it is under warranty so I don't see why a test would hurt. I'll be running through he cables and grounds. May even replace the terminal ends to end my issues with instant corrosion once and for all. We'll see. Waiting for the junkyard to be open so I can go swipe a bunch of starter relays and fuses. Hope I can get this resolved today.

bruker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have you tried jump starting it?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would invest $20 in a volt meter, you can get it at wallmart :).

New battery means a battery that has never been tested.
Battery under a year old should have 12.7volts

When a battery gets down to the 12.2v area it won't start engine on cold day, you just get the "click".
Batteries get shorted plates so will self drain.
The "spark" reads like battery's amps are gone.

You should have Type B PATS with a 2000 Explorer computer, not sure if that year included the "enable" for the starter relay.
But if you hear the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds when key is turned on then PATS wouldn't be the issue, if you don't hear the fuel pump then it could be PATS issue.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Depending on how you wired the starter circuit, factory it had the starter relay in the bjb, which energizes the starter solenoid located on the starter. If I had to guess, its a battery power issue...

SVT

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Solved!!

As per some suggestions, I followed the starter harness all the way to the battery and found that a ground wire had come lose from its perch just behind the driver side header panel, on the inside next to the battery. I also completely redid the terminals so I'll no longer have to deal with that corrosion issue again (soldered joints do funny things when mixing three kinds of metal). I did test the ignition switch and the relays by swapping them out as well. Needless to say, I had my fingers crossed when I found that lose ground and she fired right up.

My last resorts would've been testing the new starter and the rechecking all of my swap wiring. Really glad I had the help of your suggestions. It was a shotgun attempt to rectify the issue so I didn't miss any more work.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Cool, glad you got it going!

Thanks for posting the solution as well, it may help another person

AJ

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes sir, my pleasure! The best part is when my girlfriend asked me via text if I should take it to a garage where they may be better equipped..

I didn't even dignify that with a response.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals