• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 wont engage; what else could it be?

Cy Sanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Do I understand it correctly that with the transfer case motor hooked up to wiring harness but not bolted on to transfer case, the transfer case motor should (if all things working right) rotate to the corresponding position when 4wd switch in cab is turned? All I get is a little bump of movement in the motor (it's brand new) and a second bump back to where it started.
My 2011 does the same damn thing! tons of torque as it will flip the motor off the running board. If I re-index the plastic cover by loosening the torx screws mine will shift to 4 high and the light comes on, no 4 low. Only at first then stop working the next day. All my plugs look good. A lot of wires and contacts inside the cover, but they are all clean. Im going to check all the wiring again before I start replacing components. Any more advice? Thanks

MarkDru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Supercab 4x4 XL
Transmission
Automatic
I still dont have mine fixed. I am waiting on another salvage yard module. The module I received about a week ago was bad--wouldn't do anything, no clicks, no dash lights, nothing, but the guy said he would send a replacement. When last contacted, he said he was still looking for one, but I am starting to hear the crickets chirp.
You're right about the torque. The motor seems to get good voltage because the little bump of movement in the arrow comes with a strong twist of the whole motor. I had mine hanging by a piece of wire, and that thing would really jump when you turned switch, but arrow would just bump back and forth a cm or 2.
I've been tracing wires and testing and have found nothing. I have not tried loosening the torx screws to adjust the contact plates in the motor. Do you think this might work? Mine is a new motor, and I assumed it would be properly adjusted, but I also noticed that there is some room for adjustment built into the contact case cover.

Cy Sanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I still dont have mine fixed. I am waiting on another salvage yard module. The module I received about a week ago was bad--wouldn't do anything, no clicks, no dash lights, nothing, but the guy said he would send a replacement. When last contacted, he said he was still looking for one, but I am starting to hear the crickets chirp.
You're right about the torque. The motor seems to get good voltage because the little bump of movement in the arrow comes with a strong twist of the whole motor. I had mine hanging by a piece of wire, and that thing would really jump when you turned switch, but arrow would just bump back and forth a cm or 2.
I've been tracing wires and testing and have found nothing. I have not tried loosening the torx screws to adjust the contact plates in the motor. Do you think this might work? Mine is a new motor, and I assumed it would be properly adjusted, but I also noticed that there is some room for adjustment built into the contact case cover.
I hear clicks and etc in my dash behind my switch. They vary with where I index the plate. Working or not working I presume. I indexed mine again today a few times and got it to go into 4 high when ever I turned it. I also added Nolox on the connections in the plug. A conductor grease that electricians use.
It would not register 4 low. I would be happy with just high! I like wheel spin. I will see if it quits working tomorrow as I am trying to get the emergency break to work. I think the cables are stretched. everything else looks good. It is odd by indexing the plate, everything changes. Obviously it is an electrical/computer issue. I would rather have a damn lever. I am carrying a t-10 torx bit so I can adjust it if I get caught up in the snow. Good luck!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If it works in 4hi but won't go in 4 low, that could be a clutch switch or a neutral safety. It won't go in 4 low if it thinks the truck is in gear.

If you get desperate I can walk you through a manual type electrical switch setup I think I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Cy Sanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If it works in 4hi but won't go in 4 low, that could be a clutch switch or a neutral safety. It won't go in 4 low if it thinks the truck is in gear.

If you get desperate I can walk you through a manual type electrical switch setup I think I mentioned earlier in this thread.
Yes, thank you! I may resort to a simple switch. I will be in touch. I will see how it works this time out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals