• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 spindle arm Vacuum line 1998 XLT 3.0

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
I have a question, for you 4x4 experts. Do the spindle arms on driver and passenger side have a vacuum hardline to the hub? Is this required on the Driver side? I took my tires off to inspect my brakes and realized that my 4x4 hub on my driver side has no vacuum line connection, and I noticed that the spindle arm on my driver side doesnt have a hardline for vacuum , but the passenger spindle has a vacuum line . The spindle with no vacuum line is the driver side. Both my hubs are 4x4 with vacuum pulse caps. Theyre good. I just dont understand the system since Im new to it, does the driver side need to be a vacuum lined spindle? Or is only the passenger side? I have a vaccuum line thats closed off that goes to the driver side frame. Also...does anyone have advice for replacing my driver outter cv boot ? I dont want to buy a new axle for something so stupidly simple. The boot is torn but the axles good, how do I spread a whole boot? are plastic cones good tools for that?

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The vacuum line is needed for the PVH(pulse vacuum hubs), one on each front wheel

PVH was only used on 1998-2000 Ranger 4x4s, not a great system

A few articles here on how they work: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-axles.shtml

Look under Locking hubs

There are options to change to manual hubs or just locking the PVH hubs full time

Last edited:

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
The vacuum line is needed for the PVH(pulse vacuum hubs), one on each front wheel

PVH was only used on 1998-2000 Ranger 4x4s, not a great system

A few articles here on how they work: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-axles.shtml

Look under Locking hubs

There are options to change to manual hubs or just lovcking the PVH hubs full time
this is odd, I think the person before me was a moron and put the wrong spindle on the driver side as replacement. It has no vaccuum line......its PVH

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals