• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 questions

Vikz808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Had a question, would it be possible to run a manual trans with an auto electronic shift transfer case. Was hunting the site and didn’t seem to come across any info. I own a 91 ranger 4.0 with an auto trans and transfer case but wanted to go with a manual instead but wasn’t sure if I can keep the electronic shift transfer case.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Electric shift transfer case has nothing to do with the transmission. You can use whatever you want as long as it physically bolts to the transmission.

Vikz808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Electric shift transfer case has nothing to do with the transmission. You can use whatever you want as long as it physically bolts to the transmission.
Thought that if I had a manual trans instead of auto it would over load the transfer case. Is this true or with there be no problem going forward if I were to swap from automatic to manual transmission keeping the electronic shift transfer case.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The transfer case is the same for an auto or manual trans. The transmission makes no difference whatsoever. The power coming out of an automatic is the same power coming out of a manual. The transfer case does not care whats spinning it.

Vikz808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The transfer case is the same for an auto or manual trans. The transmission makes no difference whatsoever. The power coming out of an automatic is the same power coming out of a manual. The transfer case does not care whats spinning it.
Appreciate the info! Will look into where I can get one that will fit a 91 4.0 ohv, I’m from Hawaii and parts are hard to come by here.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Look for a manual transmission Explorer or Ranger with 4.0L (all Explorers are 4.0 that will have a manual transmission) from '91 to '11 I think..., same transmission if you get everything... The bellhousing changes from engine to engine so it just needs to be a 4.0L... On a '91 the transfer case should be standalone, at worst you might have to do something with a neutral/park wire or something to get it into low range, but I haven't looked into the electric transfer case in a long time.

Vikz808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Look for a manual transmission Explorer or Ranger with 4.0L (all Explorers are 4.0 that will have a manual transmission) from '91 to '11 I think..., same transmission if you get everything... The bellhousing changes from engine to engine so it just needs to be a 4.0L... On a '91 the transfer case should be standalone, at worst you might have to do something with a neutral/park wire or something to get it into low range, but I haven't looked into the electric transfer case in a long time.
Appreciate the info, I will start hunting down a manual 4.0. Doubt there’s anything locally & would need to get it shipped

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The low range neutral just moves from the transmission range sensor to the clutch pedal switch.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If I had a 1991 I would be looking at a 1995-1997 Ranger 4.0 for a swap. Supposedly the F-150 transmissions can be swapped in, but, I have not actually done that one myself. Explorer Sport models seem to be the most likely donors for an Explorer manual transmission, but, many of them are 2x4. Since S&H is likely to be the the $100s to HI for a transmission, I would look around the islands for a wrecked or disabled vehicle (explorer - ranger)for a donor.

There is also the case of if you want one with a detachable bell housing and if you are going to need a new driveshaft. I think there is a tech article that lists all the types.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals