• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 problems

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
ok heres the deal i have a 91 ranger with the electric t case and the 4 low has never worked and the 4x4 works when it feels like it.

first ill talk about the 4x4 when i push the button i hear the box behind the jumpseat click a few times then it engages, or it will click the few times and click some more and not engage.
4 low- i can push the button all day and nothing will happen

i know i read somewhere about testing the box behind the seat but couldnt remember exactly how to do it when i was messing with it before, i turned the key to run pushed the button by the light and it just stayed on. i thought it was supposed to flash and go out.

anyone got any ideas?

02 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2008
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l, 6.4l
Transmission
Automatic
ok heres the deal i have a 91 ranger with the electric t case and the 4 low has never worked and the 4x4 works when it feels like it.

first ill talk about the 4x4 when i push the button i hear the box behind the jumpseat click a few times then it engages, or it will click the few times and click some more and not engage.
4 low- i can push the button all day and nothing will happen

i know i read somewhere about testing the box behind the seat but couldnt remember exactly how to do it when i was messing with it before, i turned the key to run pushed the button by the light and it just stayed on. i thought it was supposed to flash and go out.

anyone got any ideas?
When shifting to 4 low to do have the transmission in nuetral? Mine wont shift unless it is.

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
its in park. ill try in neutral tomorrow, but im thinking with all the clicking coming from the box that the box might be bad, or is clicking normal?

02 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2008
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l, 6.4l
Transmission
Automatic
its in park. ill try in neutral tomorrow, but im thinking with all the clicking coming from the box that the box might be bad, or is clicking normal?
the clicking is normal. But deffinantly try neutral before anything because if it's that then theirs nothing to fix. Hope this work bro.
Abel

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You gotta be stopped with your foot on the brake too.

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
ok neutral worked i never even thought about that before. but rgular 4x4 still only works about half the time, it usually takes 2 or 3 tries

thatgirl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
ok neutral worked i never even thought about that before. but rgular 4x4 still only works about half the time, it usually takes 2 or 3 tries
Only 2 or 3 tries??? Lucky! Mine takes about 20 if I haven't used it for a while, and usually a minimum of 5 if I used it yesterday.

93offroad4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
244ci 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
i had the same problem a while back i just took off the electric motor that engages the transfercase and rebuilt it and it works everytime now first try:icon_thumby:

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Only 2 or 3 tries??? Lucky! Mine takes about 20 if I haven't used it for a while, and usually a minimum of 5 if I used it yesterday.
i guess i was just lucky that day because its back to about 20 times if im lucky ill probably rebuild it but i dont feel like doing it haha

94power_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hey danger, i have the exact same problem. clicking and everything. im gonna have to try that neutral thing tomorrow. and does anybody have a picture of where the motor is on the tcase that engages the 4wd?

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
the motor is on the back side of the transfer case if you look you will see it, as for the problem with my motor i found that it is the rubber bumper in the motor letting it go to far when it goes into 2wd and it gets "lost" and wont move. sometimes i get lucky and it will go but not often, a piece of vacuum hose will fix it but i havent had time to mess with the safety torx yet

i can apply power to it manually with wires from the battery with the plug unhooked and it will go into 4wd and then i can plug it back it and the button works for 4hi and 4 low, but as soon as it goes to 2wd it gest lost again

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
For those of you with intermittent problems with 4hi, follow the writeup in the tech library and pull the shift motor and clean the inards, it takes about 20 minutes start to finish and youll notice a big difference in your 4 wheel shifting.

4LO, press brake, be in neutral (some models can do it in park), 0 mph, and already in 4hi. There is also a self test button to tell if your module is going bad.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Remember though, the tech writeup is a 3rd or 4th gen motor. The 2nd gens and 1 gen explorers have a motor that looks the same on the outside, and has the same plug, but the contact place on that one is more of a sealed unit, where on say, mine, the contact plate is right there in the open when you pop it open, and the tech writeup mentions nothing of the main problem - the bushing getting broken.

bwright1818

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine shifted intermitantly, then not at all. I took the motor off, carefully cleaned up the brushes and commutator, then put it back. It's been working perfect for a few years, now. There was one wire I had to cut and splice. If you do this, make sure you at least use a butt connector that you shrink and seal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals