• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 problem

Critcherc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 99 ranger xlt 4.0 5 speed and my 4x4 lights flash 5 or 6 times randomly, the 4x4 does not work, I know the switch is good and the gem mod is good, I'm thinking the problem could be in the wiring but I'm not 100% sure, has anyone else had this problem?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Find out how many times the light flashes. I think that system has flash codes, so the number of times the lights flashes can help us figure this out.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/transfercasetroubleshooting.shtml#Troubleshooting_1995_&_Newer_Electric_Shift_Transfer_Cases

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TCaseshiftmotor.shtml

Welcome to The Ranger Station!

70-80% of the time it's the shift motor, but on the 2001+ I hear of a lot of failures of the 4x4CM, which is a separate part that controls the shift motor (yours has one, it's separate from the GEM). Many times those fail when jump-starting the truck or after the battery has gone dead and been replaced.

If you want the Ford schematic for that, send me a PM (private message - just click on my username and select send private message). Include an e-mail address.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals