• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 isnt working?

Jordan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I did a recent motor swap and my 4x4 isn't working, it worked before I put a new motor in and now with the new one in and running i hit the 4x4 button and i got nothing happening pls help lol buddy's are chirping me cause i cant go offroading with them lol

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
There are 4 things I would check....

1). Check any and all fuses for the 4x4 system
2). Check the controller. Should be somewhere behind the driver's side seat. There should be a little white button with a red light next to it on top. Will hte key to on and the engine not running. Push the white button. If the light blinks than it is ok. If it just lights up, I think it's toast.
3). See if the connector down below that plugs into the shift motor on the t-case is your problem. Uplug it, make sure on the male side of the connector, that there is none of the prongs pushed back enough so that it doesn't make a connection.
4). Follow these instructions and clean your electric shift motor, I did it and it worked wonders for me!! The part that really does it ,is breaking open the plastic part where the wires go into. Clean those contacts(with a fine grade sandpaper or scotch pad) and slightly bend the brushes down to make better contact. What happens is the factory grease will harden without use, and will prevent the two from contacting, not letting the computer know where it is, if the computer does not know where it is, it will go into fail safe mode and not shift. Most of the time, when this happens, people can shift fine into 4High, but wont go into 4low, they will just hear a few clicks.

Clicky:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89&highlight=shift+motor

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TCaseshiftmotor.htm

Good luck!!! The best way to preserve the electric shift system is to use it!! Both 4H and 4L.

Jordan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Problem was somebody stole a 20 A fuse from under my hood lol....Looked up MOD5 got a wiring scimatic, found out the wire colors and what they are for, then tested for power to them and noticed I wasn't getting any power cause I had a missing fuse lmao....

Still have to figure 4x4 low and why it isn't working????

Thanks for the help guys

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you need to clean the shift motor.... 9 times out of ten thats the problem. But check everything I told ya too also. One bad connection and it doesn't want to shift.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals