• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4X4 INFO NEEDED

brianhood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 2000 2005
Make / Model
3 Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
HELLO EVERYONE! IM VERY NEW TO THE 4X4 WORLD AND DONT KNOW A LOT. IVE GOT A (STUPID) QUESTION. IM BUILDING A 05 SPORT TRAC (GREAT BODY AND INTERIOR- BAD ENGINE) AND IM PUTTING A SMALL 4 CYL DIESEL POWERTRAIN INTO IT. I WANT A 4X4 AND THERE ARE SEVERAL CHOICES THAT I COULD CHOOSE. IM GOING TO USE A DIVORCED TRANSFER CASE. THE ONE IM LOOKING AT IS IN A 82 NISSIAN. MY QUESTION IS THIS, SINCE THE NISSIAN HAS MANUAL LOCKING HUBS, WILL I HAVE A PROBLEM USING THE STOCK FRONT DIFF ( IM GUESSING THAT THE OE SYSTEM ON THE FRONT DIFF IN THE TRAC IS AUTOMATIC AS THERE IS NO WAY TO LOCK ANYTHING). I COULD USE A FORD TRANSFER CASE AND CONVERT IT TO A DIVORCED UNIT AND GET ONE OF THOSE CONVERSION KITS TO MAKE IT INTO A MANUAL SHIFT CASE. HOWEVER, IF THE NISSIAN UNIT WOULD WORK WITH MY STOCK FRONT DIFF THT SHOULD BE THE CHEAPEST ROUTE. WOULD IT HURT TO MIX PARTS OR SHOULD I KEEP IT ALL FORD? ANY SUGGESTIONS OR COMMENTS WOULD BE GREAT! THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME.
BRIAN

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here's a article on your front axle. https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/dana_35_sla.shtml

You could do your conversion and not worry about it. The whole complete front driveline will turn all the time, which is apparently the way it worked from the factory. If you used it that way you could shift on the fly anytime you wanted. They do mention you can swap axles and hubs with certain years and then buy a manual hub conversion kit.

brianhood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 2000 2005
Make / Model
3 Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
so then does this mean that I could use he Nissan tcase and the oe ford front diff just the way it is?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The only way the transfer case links to the differentials is through drive shafts. So, as long as you can get a drive shaft with the proper u-joints or splines or whatever it needs, then you can use almost any transfer case. Most front axles on Fords have the differential offset to the driver side. So the best practice is to choose a transfer case with its front output on the driver side.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
so then does this mean that I could use he Nissan tcase and the oe ford front diff just the way it is?
Yes. The only downside is the front axles and front driveshaft will turn at all times. But a lot of the more modern vehicles do this. It may give you a 1 mpg penalty, not even noticeable with the diesel. The upside, you will have 4x4 anytime you want it by just pulling the lever on the transfer case to 4x4.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Correct, the Sport Trac front axle is "live" all the time. 98 and early 99 Rangers had a vacuum disconnect on the hubs but it proved to be troublesome and unreliable. Ford's own testing showed only a 0.3 mpg improvement with disconnected hubs vs. an always-live axle with synthetic lube.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals