• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 engages, on its own,..

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
1999 ranger xlt 4x4 3.0 5spd fyi

So Off and on the 4x4 lights flash 6 times meaning somethings wrong, and the 4x4 dont work. Ill go start the truck up a couple hours later and they dont flash, and 4x4 works fine...I jacked it up and made sure wheels were spinning to know for sure.

I was reading through some threads while searching and I found one that was talking about the electric shift motor starting to get weak, and causing the exact problem I mention above.. I haven't had the chance to remove the shift motor and take it apart to clean it up like it was reccomended, I may just get a jy one and clean that up and throw it in, so Ill have my current as a back up if I can clean it up to work properly...

So today I started driving to work, and I got 1 block away. and I hear this whirring noise, hard to explain, I was going about 25mph in 2nd gear.

This noise was like something spinning around really fast then it almost seemed like it shot out the bottom from the noise... I stopped and looked over the road, saw nothing, and I drove up to the side of the street and parked it and looked underneath the truck, nothing out of the ordinary. So I got back in fired it up, drives fine.....THEN I notice that its either in 4w hi or lo because I can hear the front axles making same sound it does when i do have it in 4x4. I tried to engage the 4w hi and nothing. So I just put it back to regular, although I know The 4wd was engaged.

I got to work, did my job and left, and everything works fine.

please help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals