• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4WD wont work!

boysurfer1997

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have an automatic 4WD in my 98 ranger. Whenever I switch into 4Wd the truck goes into neutral on all wheels. It doesnt matter what gear the transmission is in or what speed im going. Any help diagnosing the problem?

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The most likely problem would be that your transfer case is shifting into neutral instead of 4 hi or 4 lo. This could be caused by a bad position sensor, bad wiring, a bad controller, or mechanical damage in the transfer case.

I don't know what transfer case your truck has, or any details, but I would start by taking the shift motor off the transfer case and see if you can manually shift it into all 4 positions: 2 Hi, 4 Hi, Neutral and 4 Lo, and double check that it operates correctly in all 4 positions. If not, your transfer case is damaged. If it does work, then you need to start diagnosing the electrical shift system parts, which will probably require a wiring diagram and an electrical test meter.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
God is great, beer is good, and rangers are awesome!
98s have neutral? Mine just has 2h,4h,4l.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
98s have neutral? Mine just has 2h,4h,4l.
I think the poster means "neutral" as far as 4X4 is concerned. The transfer case does have a shift position (neutral??) where there is no out to the front shaft even though there is out put to the rear shaft. You cannot select two wheel drive, you can select 4h or 4l or turn the 4X4 off. I guess it could be described as having the 4 wheel drive in neutral.

But, in this case as described by sufer I think the problem is deeper into the t-case. To troubleshoot I would pull the electric shift motor and see if I can shift it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1354+transfer+case+diagram&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&imgil=-zpSx8huixjriM%3A%3BZbkU2p3tXpGzHM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.rsgear.com%252Ftechnical%252Fdiagrams%252Fep-diagrams%252Fborg-warner-1354-transfer-case-electrical-shift.aspx&source=iu&pf=m&fir=-zpSx8huixjriM%3A%2CZbkU2p3tXpGzHM%2C_&biw=1209&bih=598&usg=__3vSm3V9nrp9BP4Qwos9obHwkJBc=&ved=0CEgQyjdqFQoTCKT_1Juh8sgCFUFQYwodWx0J1w&ei=vpw3VqSoDMGgjQPbuqS4DQ#imgrc=-zpSx8huixjriM:&usg=__3vSm3V9nrp9BP4Qwos9obHwkJBc=

Last edited:

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think the poster means "neutral" as far as 4X4 is concerned. The transfer case does have a shift position (neutral??) where there is no out to the front shaft even though there is out put to the rear shaft. You cannot select two wheel drive, you can select 4h or 4l or turn the 4X4 off. I guess it could be described as having the 4 wheel drive in neutral.

But, in this case as described by sufer I think the problem is deeper into the t-case. To troubleshoot I would pull the electric shift motor and see if I can shift it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1354+transfer+case+diagram&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&imgil=-zpSx8huixjriM%3A%3BZbkU2p3tXpGzHM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.rsgear.com%252Ftechnical%252Fdiagrams%252Fep-diagrams%252Fborg-warner-1354-transfer-case-electrical-shift.aspx&source=iu&pf=m&fir=-zpSx8huixjriM%3A%2CZbkU2p3tXpGzHM%2C_&biw=1209&bih=598&usg=__3vSm3V9nrp9BP4Qwos9obHwkJBc=&ved=0CEgQyjdqFQoTCKT_1Juh8sgCFUFQYwodWx0J1w&ei=vpw3VqSoDMGgjQPbuqS4DQ#imgrc=-zpSx8huixjriM:&usg=__3vSm3V9nrp9BP4Qwos9obHwkJBc=
No, I really mean neutral.

Although the pushbutton controls don't allow you to select it, there is a mechanical position in the transfer case that is neutral, where any output from the transmission is not transmitted to the driveshafts. It's in-between 4hi and 4lo. The gears for 4hi must disengage well before the gears for 4lo engage, or the gears would bind up and destroy something. That position between 4hi and 4lo is neutral. It might be a pretty narrow spot to shift into, depending on the transfer case, but it's there.

The electric shift/pushbutton system doesn't let you select that neutral position, although I have heard that there was a trailering option available through '93 for the electric-shift transfer case that would put it in neutral if you pushed the 4hi and 4lo buttons at the same time, but it wasn't a standard option. However, if you take the shift motor off of the transfer case and move the shift assembly by hand (or wrench) you can get it into 2hi, 4hi, neutral, and 4lo, in that order.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
The Rat had no shift motor when I bought it. The ranges are cast into the mounting face of the 1354. The motor must couple with the triangular shaft. I highlighited the point and the print for 4 wheel high, Low and 2 wheel. I have a small vise grip clamped on the shaft and wired in 4 wheel high.:D

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can the electric t-cases not do 2-low without manual hubs?

I would die. lol

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Probably, I used to do it with my twin stick Willys . :D

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nope!

Can the electric t-cases not do 2-low without manual hubs?

I would die. lol
I am not familiar with any case that can use 2-low without unlocking the hubs or dropping a driveshaft.
I once had to drop my BACK driveshaft and drove only on the front wheels with the hubs locked.
Big Jim

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am not familiar with any case that can use 2-low without unlocking the hubs or dropping a driveshaft.
I once had to drop my BACK driveshaft and drove only on the front wheels with the hubs locked.
Big Jim
That's why I asked. I was assuming that the electric case trucks had auto hubs as well, unless they had been converted.

I adore the ability of 2lo with my manual/manual combo.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals