• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4WD vs 2WD motor swap

Jordan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have a 3.0 V6 motor out of my 94 4x4 truck but the wiring harness is tad bit different from what I believe was a 2WD automatic motor that I'm putting in, Iv switched them up and put original harness on the 2WD drive motor so when it goes in the hook ups are where there suppose to be. I noticed the Air Temp Sensor on the newer motor I'm putting in had a sensor on the intake manifold so I took it out and plugged it, the air boot had one in it. Also the harness on the 2WD motor had only one link for one O2 Sensor, I needed 2.

I will need to get a Pilot Bearing for the crankshaft on the 2WD auto correct?

I hope I'm doing this right, if anyone has any tips or concerns on a problem that
I might run into please post - its my first motor swap.

Thanks

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the wiring is the same between 2wd and 4wd motors. it sounds like the motor your trying to put in is either new or older than the one you took out. the fact that it only had 1 O2 sensor connection is perplexing because all 3.0's had at least 2 sensors.

in other words, it would really help to know what year this motor is.

the pilot bearing is pressed into the flywheel. the flywheels are different between auto and manual tranny's, but they are the same between 4wd and 2wd. you need to use the flywheel for your tranny (auto/manual).

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
it sounds like the motor your trying to put in is either new or older than the one you took out. the fact that it only had 1 O2 sensor connection is perplexing because all 3.0's had at least 2 sensors.
+1, almost sounds like new engine is a 2.9L...

Pics?

Pete

Jordan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Well its looking identical to my motor that I took out of the truck, its a 1994 Mazda B3000 4x4 5 speed. Hotch's Used Quality Parts, said the motor was from a Mazda B3000 and was a 3.0L with 142 000 KM on it. The motor even says 3.0 on it but here are a few pics of the motor and my truck. Me thinks the guys taking the motor out of the other truck were a little rough on it as I did notice few bolts missing and dent in oil pan etc little things.... good thing the old motor has lots of new parts on it. Yesterday I got the old harness on no biggies and in the morning the pilot bearing is coming in so the motor is ready to be dropped in really soon.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/DRz_09/TruckRebuild5.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/DRz_09/TruckRebuild4.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/DRz_09/TruckRebuild3.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/DRz_09/TruckRebuild2.jpg

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
thats definatly a 3.0...and of the right generation (dizzy) for your application. everything SHOULD have been plug and play. like you said, perhaps the harness was damaged during a rough removal. sounds like youve got it mostly straightened out though...if you have any more questions along the way feel free to post em.

what was wrong with the old engine?

Jordan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Yea its pretty much set to drop in bolt up, plug wires together etc. Oh and hope to god it runs good and strong lol. For the older motor I had posted few threads somewhere about my knocking and a dealer possibly screwed my motor over. The knock was really bad and the crank had a hell of a lot of play in it according to the dealer ppl. I lost lots of power and gas millage so I decided to do a motor swap. Not to mention it had 300 000 kms on it

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
thats right, i remember that story now.

hopefully a motor swap cures all your ills. keep us posted :beer:

Jordan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Well motor swap is complete and everything is hocked up. Started it up the other day and ran mint besides the fact it had a big exhaust leak from my exhaust manifold gasket due to another student that my teacher assigned to put on so now I'm stuck replacing that gasket. Other then that have to bleed clutch and of course gasket woot woot. Thanks for the info from his site and the help form other members

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
glad to hear your just about rollin again. congrats :beer:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals