• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4wd low wont work

jeepxj2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1994 Ford Ranger 4.0 v-6 al4d and pushbutton tcase...it will go fine into hi ranger, but not into low. It wont go into low range when Parked, neutral, or neutral and rolling slowly. Any ideas?

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I think you need to set the Parking brake too. There's an interlock switch in there somewhere.
I belive to go in to 4-LO you need to have the following:
Tranny in Neutral
Foot on Brake
Parking brake engaged.

jeepxj2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
is there any way around that? I had a 1999 ranger and my 93 doesn't require any of that. Its just this new 94 I have wont shift into it. The others I can just push the button and it works.

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't used it in awhile but I think it just needs to be in neutral or park. Oh and foot on brake.

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i also think you have to be in Nuetral with your foot on the brake

l8r, John

Daniel T.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey man thats an easy one, had the same prob, just service your shifter motor as described on the tech library and check if your stopbushing is not worn.BTW use a LOT of dielectric grease on that shifter motor, youll notice a huge diference, it will shift faster and quieter, and willmake shifting to 4low a breeze.

johnnyboy110

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99/09
Make / Model
Ford/Jeep
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 99 Ranger 3.0 auto that is new to me and was having the same prob. After reading this thread I figured I would try the whole neutral thing and that dose the trick. Key on, Trans in neutral, foot on brake, flip the switch. I did it while I was not moving.:headbang: I thought something was fauked up with my truck but it turns out everything is A-OK:icon_cheers:.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
hey yeah make sure youre in neutral, and FOOT ON BRAKE, then hit the button. if still nothing, time for a motor service.

oldfordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
In my 99 auto trans Ranger, I have be in neutral (or park), foot on brake, and completly stopped. Even slightly rolling will prevent it from going into low range. When I first got the truck, the trans position sensor was off a bit- noticeable by the backup lights not coming on unless I held up on the shift lever a bit. There is a special tool for this, but I simply did this- BLOCK THE WHEELS, PUT PARKING BRAKE ON, put key on (engine OFF!), put the trans in reverse, then crawled underneath. Loosen the two small bolts that hold the sensor. Rotate it back and forth to find out where the backup lights go on/off. Use a mirror so you can watch. Put the sensor in the middle of that range, and snug the bolts. Worked for me, have had no problems since then.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
In my '94 stick-shift Ranger, in order to go into 4Lo, you must have the clutch in, trans in neutral, and the e-brake on.

sqr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
In my '94 stick-shift Ranger, in order to go into 4Lo, you must have the clutch in, trans in neutral, and the e-brake on.
Thanks, i was just about to set my truck on fire. Pushed in clutch and it finally shifted out of low. I guess ford was to cheep to put a sticker some ware on how to use the 4wd.

Mines a 94 5 speed. Is this a shift on the fly system for 4 high? I do not have the owners manual. Is there an online owners manual and or service manual?

Thanks, A newbie

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Glad to be of help my friend! I spent some time after I bought the truck and before a major snowfall figuring out how it works.

Yep. It's a shift on the fly, but I still stop and engauge the 4WD, even with the auto hubs. There's less stress on the drivetrain that way and the running gear will last longer.

sqr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Glad to be of help my friend! I spent some time after I bought the truck and before a major snowfall figuring out how it works.

Yep. It's a shift on the fly, but I still stop and engauge the 4WD, even with the auto hubs. There's less stress on the drivetrain that way and the running gear will last longer.
Well i have manual hubs, with them locked that should let me shift in and out like i did with my dodge with the lever depending on road conditions. Especially pulling the snowmobiles.

Catalysyc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well i have manual hubs, with them locked that should let me shift in and out like i did with my dodge with the lever depending on road conditions. Especially pulling the snowmobiles.
Hey I have the the same make and model. I just bought it and the 4x4 haven't been used in a while. High cam on just fine but low wouldn't come on until I put it in reverse and turned it on then it worked just fine in every gear.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Thanks, i was just about to set my truck on fire. Pushed in clutch and it finally shifted out of low. I guess ford was to cheep to put a sticker some ware on how to use the 4wd.

Mines a 94 5 speed. Is this a shift on the fly system for 4 high? I do not have the owners manual. Is there an online owners manual and or service manual?

Thanks, A newbie
To be honest the owner's manual tells you how to engage high and low range LOL. Except most people now are buying these trucks used and for some reason the owner's manuals never stay in the the glovebox where they belong, so you gotta just learn the hard way sometimes LOL.

Every manual truck I've had has also had manual transfer cases so its easy to figure out how to get into low range with them, but I know with my 93 Ranger I always had to engage high range before low range would engage, thought you could just hit the low range button, nope never worked that way, although I think its supposed to but never did.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals