• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4wd lights on After Washing under carriage

RedneckwithaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Hey y'all.

I need some help on this one. I got a 97 ford ranger xlt 4wd 4.0 and it was working fine for the longest. I washed the truck with a pressure washer and after that it was working fine for about an hour or so of driving her home. I ran across some railroad tracks and all of a sudden my air bag light starts to blink. Code 5-2. Now thats not my major concern since i know that its not that big of a deal. But also my 4wd & 4wd low lights started blinking. I get it home and turn it off. Turn it back on and the 4wd lights blink then go off for two mins then blink again. I know this is a 4wd service code. I cant get it to go into either 4wd mode. When i turn the dial i dont hear it engage and the 4wd lights wont come on.

My question is does anyone know what could be going on? Im guessing maybe a electrical connection might have gotten wet under the body during washing or something came disconnected. Can anyone give me suggestions on where to look or where to start poking and prodding. Thank you so much. I love my baby and i hate when shes got a cold.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

On the back of the transfer case is the electric shift motor, it will have a 7 or 8 wire plug connector, unplug it and dry it out if its wet
2 of the wires are 12v/ground, these power the motor, they switch polarity to turn transfer case shift rod to its 3 positions, 2WD, 4H , 4L and then back to 2WD, so like a power window motor

5 of the wires are position sensors, they tell the 4WD Controller what position the transfer cases shift rod is in, when key is on, and this is most likely why the 4WD lights are flashing after key on, controller doesn't know what position transfer case is in, sensors wires shorted maybe, so can't/won't move shift motor because it has no starting point to know which direction to move it

If 8 wires then its a brown wire that goes to electric clutch inside transfer case, but this is often wired separately

Flashing 4WD lights, but only when shifting transfer, case means fuse in engine fuse box might be blown, 12v fuse for shift motor, or motor itself is bad
The controller is not seeing sensors changing when it sent power to the motor, so it flashes 4WD lights to indicate that to driver, but it would only happen when you moved the selector knob, not before or after that

1997 Ranger 4WD system has 4 parts
Knob/switch on dash, never fails
GEM Module, behind radio, its the 4x4 controller 1995-2000, rarely fails
4x4 relay box, behind GEM, rarely fails but can, GEM uses it to send 12v/ground, or ground/12v to shift motor
Shift motor, it does wear out, the motor part, usually the brushes for the motor get stuck or just wear down

All dash lights should come on with key on, thats a Bulb Test, not to be confused with a light or lights that come on after that, just an FYI

Last edited:

RedneckwithaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Dude thank you so much. That was alot of knowledge you just dropped there. Im about to go up under it and check it out. I hope its just wet. My last ranger was a 2wd and it was fun but after having experienced the 4wd life i dont want to go back. Lol.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, neither

It's farther back, have a look at the first two pictures here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/rebuilding-a-ford-transfer-case-shift-motor/

The round flange with the 4 holes is where the rear drive shaft connects to transfer case
So follow rear drive shaft forward and you will see Shift motor to left of it, drivers side left

You should have the same type of round connector in 1997

And just FYI
1st picture you posted is the 16 pin automatic trans solenoid connector, computer controlled shifting
2nd pic is the DTR(digital transmission range) Sensor, tells computer what "gear" driver selected, also operates Reverse/Backup Lights, and passes Starter Motor activation voltage if in Park or Neutral

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals