• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4WD light stays on

Ranger nube

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello all,
2002 xlt manual shift. So I was off road, shifted into 4wd hi, came back on the pavement shifted into 2wd hi, but I could not get the 4wd light to go out it just stays on, the shifter is clearly in 2wd, but 4wd light refuses to extinguish, what is my issue, other than being a off road and ranger nube?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On the manual transfer case there is a 3 position switch

The 4WD dash lights both have 12volts with key on, but are Grounded by the transfer case switch to light each one up

Transfer case switch grounds in 4high and 4 low positions, and no ground in 2wd or neutral positions.

So it could be the switch itself, OR the 4high wire from the switch is shorted to a ground somewhere, you can unplug the switch and see if 4high light goes out, if so then switch is most likely the problem, if light stays on then its a wire issue

Does the 4low light come on and go off normally?
Does the 4high light go off when 4low light comes on?

Switch is on drivers side top of transfer case, if memory serves its a plunger style switch

Found picture here: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/bw-1354-manual-shift-arm-lever.454067/

Just above red circle in first pic you can see the switch and its wires

Last edited:

Ranger nube

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ron
Thanks for the reply. To answer your question the light stays in 4 hi all the time even when I am in 4 lo
I will mess with the switch and wires and replace if need to. Just had a check engine light come on now so I have bigger fish to fry, haven’t read the code yet so don’t know what the issue is. Wish me luck thanks again
Greg.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals